Sign in to follow this  
camcafe

Is 8gb Of Memory Enough?

I max out 4 GB easily. I haven't ever hit the limit on 8 GB. 8 GB made tabbing in/out of games far faster though and it makes superfetch run incredibly fast.

I have 4GB, and to say you can max out 4GB "easily" is stretching the truth a bit. Take Comp's example....sure, you can max out 4GB that way, but having 30 tabs and 8 high-res images open in Photoshop isn't a necessity by any means. For every day use, even for hardcore users, reaching 4GB isn't exactly "easy".

I've maxed out 4gb before, but it was hard to do :P

Gaming you'll probably not need more than 4gb for at least 3 years.

I disagree, i dont rekon it will last that long at all, given how quickly we moved from 2Gb to 4Gb. 2Gb is defo not enough for a new build, and i've maxed mine out many times, just go with 2x2Gb for now, and stick in another kit when you need it.

I disagree, i dont rekon it will last that long at all, given how quickly we moved from 2Gb to 4Gb. 2Gb is defo not enough for a new build, and i've maxed mine out many times, just go with 2x2Gb for now, and stick in another kit when you need it.

2GB is easily enough for a new build! I mean if you like having a bunch of stuff running and being lazy about your processes 2 wouldn't be enough, but for the average user (and hell, even most extreme users) at OCC and similar sites 2 gigs is still more than enough man.

Let's put it this way, if current games don't max it out then it's unlikely (again, for MOST users) that you'd need more. If you're one of the few that use programs that can utilize it then that's great, but you might want to stipulate said programs when you give your opinion.

In any case, it'd be kinda dumb to get a 2 gig kit when 4 gig kits aren't much more, but if you're into overclocking you could save a bundle and still have a faster ram by getting the 2 gig kit.

I would think your video card would need to be updated a couple of times before there were games out that fully utilized 8GB of RAM. :P

8GB is overkill for games now and for probably the next two or three years.

+1 yeah 8 gigs is overkill. I have not been able to max out 4 gigs.

2GB is easily enough for a new build! I mean if you like having a bunch of stuff running and being lazy about your processes 2 wouldn't be enough, but for the average user (and hell, even most extreme users) at OCC and similar sites 2 gigs is still more than enough man.

Let's put it this way, if current games don't max it out then it's unlikely (again, for MOST users) that you'd need more. If you're one of the few that use programs that can utilize it then that's great, but you might want to stipulate said programs when you give your opinion.

In any case, it'd be kinda dumb to get a 2 gig kit when 4 gig kits aren't much more, but if you're into overclocking you could save a bundle and still have a faster ram by getting the 2 gig kit.

http://www.corsair.com/_appnotes/AN804_Gam...ce_Analysis.pdf :)

While that's certainly an interesting read, technodanvan wasn't saying that you won't see any sort of benefit over 2GB, but rather 2GB is still plenty for most users and definitely isn't crippling in a way that 512MB or 1GB would be. However, I'd like to see a study which shows the benefits of 8GB over 4GB. I'm fairly certain the performance boost is negligible at best.

To clear my last comment up...

For the normal, and even hardcore gamer, 2 gigs is plenty. Unless you are doing many spontaneous photoshops of extremely high res photos AND have a lot of programs/tabs in the background, you will not max it out.

I could not get over ~1.4gb peak OS usage with 1920x1200 crysis, all high, and 2xaa after an hour of playing.

In queenz screenshot he has 1.8gigs in use with 166 Ff pages open, and a god knows how big of BMP. That is clearly overkill - who has almost 200 web pages open at once? :lol:

Without counting vistas "tricks" of pre-caching what it thinks you will use, there are not many non A/V or CAD scenarios that will warrant over 2 gigs of ram - and of course not gaming, which is what the OP intended.

Of you want to do serious photoshop, audio, video, or massive CAD designs/3d rendering, then by all means go for 4+ gigs and vista! If you just plan on gaming then your money would be much better spent on a higher end cpu or graphics card.

If you just plan on gaming then your money would be much better spent on a higher end cpu or graphics card.

The difference in minimum frame rates makes a huge difference in how smoothly games play. IHMO that's worth the $30 for an extra 2 GB.