Is 8gb Of Memory Enough?

camcafe

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a new mb for upgrading my Q6600 processor and looked at some board that supported up to 16gb (P45) and 8gb (P35) of memory. My question is with future upgrade consideration, is 8gb max plenty enough memory to do gaming on this computer? Thanks

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think your video card would need to be updated a couple of times before there were games out that fully utilized 8GB of RAM. :P

8GB is overkill for games now and for probably the next two or three years.

actually 4Gb should already be more than enough. Heck I'm on 2GB and that does fine as far as gaming and all that other hubba jubba

I have yet to max 2gb system memory, but I also have 2gb of video memory as well.

4gb for sure is more then enough! By the time 8gb would be needed, there will most likely be a new standard for ram that would not be compatable with those boards anyway.

I've maxed out 4gb before, but it was hard to do :P

Gaming you'll probably not need more than 4gb for at least 3 years.

curiously, how did you max out 4 Gigs? Sure you could have ie and firefox open each with like 500 tabs all while watching videos and playing solitare. But were you trying to see if you could max it out or did it just happen?

Anyways, 4Gigs will be plenty for everything but the most abnormal circumstances.

curiously, how did you max out 4 Gigs? Sure you could have ie and firefox open each with like 500 tabs all while watching videos and playing solitare. But were you trying to see if you could max it out or did it just happen?

Anyways, 4Gigs will be plenty for everything but the most abnormal circumstances.

It was probaly porrrrr....... ehhh gaming that maxed it out :ph34r:

I've done it my self with around 30 tabs in firefox and 10 images at the same time in photoshop... all having 8mp resolutions.