Help Overclocking The Q6600 Processor

1nfinity

I just got an Intel Quad Q6600 SLARC and I need some help overclocking it to at least 3.0 GHz. I have an Asus P5N32 Sli SE Deluxe motherboard and I just updated the BIOS so it can support this processor. In an attempt to overclock this processor, I increased the FSB to 1333, but my computer did not boot. I have two gigs of Corsair MSX2 PC6400 in dual channel(4-4-4-12) and a good Roswill HS and fan.

I must mention that this is the first time I'm attempting to overclock a CPU. I did over three hours of research on overclocking, but so far I have not had any success. This what I did in BIOS:

I went into BIOS "Advanced" tab and set The Jumper Free Configuration to manual. Then I went into the Performance Options and enable the FSB optimize Mode, set the System Clock Mode to Manual. I set the FSB to 1333 in order to get 3.0 GHz. I left the Memory Clock at 800. I left the CPU multiplier at 9. I didn't mess with the CPU voltage so I left it in Auto. What am I doing wrong? Please see attached pics. Is it possible to overclock this processor with this motherboard?

If you know how to overclock this processor with this motherboard, please tell me how.

thanks.

I suppose your computer is working again (if not: try resetting your BIOS settings using the "clear CMOS" jumper on the mainboard).

Some information about your cooling equipdment would be nice: Do you use the standard cooler from Intel (then don't even think about overclocking, on my machine for example it doesn't even manager to keep the CPU cool enough with 100% load if it's *not* overclocked).

Next, you should try to find out the temperatures of your CPU (both when the CPU is idle and when the CPU has been under 100% load on all 4 cores for at least 20 minutes). Under Windows, you can find out these temperatures for example with http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php (this tool also enables you to manually set the speed of your fans if your mainboard supports that function). If you are using Linux, you can try XSensors.

Using CPU-Z, you can find out further details about your CPU, most important the stepping (which has a certain impact on how good you can overclock your CPU and how much heat it produces).

Next thing: Don't make too big steps at the beginning. Instead of overclocking it from 1066Mhz to 1333Mhz, take smaller steps (perhaps 33Mhz). Always remember that if you increase your FSB, your "normal" CPU clock (in your case 2,4Ghz at the beginning) increases by a multiple of the amount by which you increase your FSB.

For example, if you raise your FSB from 1066Mhz to 1333Mhz, your CPU clock raises from 2,4Ghz to

( (1333) / 4 ) * 9 = 3,0Ghz (600Mhz difference).

600Mhz is 25% of the original clocking, you should take MUCH smaller steps. Perheps 5%, at maximum 10%...

Hope I could help you a little...

Pascal

//EDIT: You can find a nice howto in here:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=71656

Edited by hardfalcon

I just got an Intel Quad Q6600 SLARC and I need some help overclocking it to at least 3.0 GHz. I have an Asus P5N32 Sli SE Deluxe motherboard and I just updated the BIOS so it can support this processor. In an attempt to overclock this processor, I increased the FSB to 1333, but my computer did not boot. I have two gigs of Corsair MSX2 PC6400 in dual channel(4-4-4-12) and a good Roswill HS and fan.

I must mention that this is the first time I'm attempting to overclock a CPU. I did over three hours of research on overclocking, but so far I have not had any success. This what I did in BIOS:

I went into BIOS "Advanced" tab and set The Jumper Free Configuration to manual. Then I went into the Performance Options and enable the FSB optimize Mode, set the System Clock Mode to Manual. I set the FSB to 1333 in order to get 3.0 GHz. I left the Memory Clock at 800. I left the CPU multiplier at 9. I didn't mess with the CPU voltage so I left it in Auto. What am I doing wrong? Please see attached pics. Is it possible to overclock this processor with this motherboard?

If you know how to overclock this processor with this motherboard, please tell me how.

thanks.

Yes. My computer works fine with the default values. I ran Core Temp and the cores are running at an average of 35C per core. The VID is 1.325V. I'm using a Roswill heat sink and fan. I'm not the stock HS and fan. I used small increments as you suggested, but it did not work.

There's got to be another setting that needs to be changed. I don't know what else to try.

thanks.

Edited by 1nfinity

As you went up on the fsb. Did you increase the voltage?

no. I kept it at 1.325. when do I increase the voltage? when do I do a stress test? I'm assuming I'm going to gradually increase the FSB until my computer is unstable or unable to boot up, right?

no. I kept it at 1.325. when do I increase the voltage? when do I do a stress test? I'm assuming I'm going to gradually increase the FSB until my computer is unstable or unable to boot up, right?

Well, yes... but NO. You are not there yet. The most likely reason your system didn't post after increasing the FSB was that you didn't strap your memory. If it won't post in an overclocked state, you can't stress test. And, if you go about this carefully enough, you won't know your system is unstable unless you stress test.

Well, yes... but NO. You are not there yet. The most likely reason your system didn't post after increasing the FSB was that you didn't strap your memory. If it won't post in an overclocked state, you can't stress test. And, if you go about this carefully enough, you won't know your system is unstable unless you stress test.

how do I strap my memory? Where in the BIOS do I change this? I kept the memory clock at 800. I think I'm using the incorrect settings in the BIOS. I'm hoping that I can find someone with the same mobo and cpu as mine.

do you have the Intel SpeedStep, C1E, etc disabled in your CPU Configuration page? with those enabled, even when you oc and bring up CPU-Z it will look as though your comp is not overclocked as SpeedStep will reduce your multi to 6x instead of the default 9x...here is an example of what the settings for the CPU look like

to Strap your memory, you are going to want to change the FSB strap to the NB as the ASUS P5QL-E BIOS calls it...here is a pic for an example. When you do that, then set what you want for the Memory, I would stick with 800MHz since you are running DDR2 memory, so set it as close to 800 as you can...example here

I would bump the FSB to 275MHz, giving you 2475MHz. You should be able to get into Windows with auto voltages (~1.3V) Download and install OCCT 2.0a and run that for 1 hour. make sure you are using either coretemp or realtemp to monitor your temperatures under load (very important) When its done, you can then bump it up to 290 or 300MHz, then retest for stability. It it becomes unstable, take the votlages off of Auto and bring it up to 1.3275 or 1.3500V and retest...

Overclocking is a long and drawn out process...when you have your CPU stable and at an OC you like, then its time to move onto your RAM, when you get to it, let us know and we can help

do you have the Intel SpeedStep, C1E, etc disabled in your CPU Configuration page? with those enabled, even when you oc and bring up CPU-Z it will look as though your comp is not overclocked as SpeedStep will reduce your multi to 6x instead of the default 9x...here is an example of what the settings for the CPU look like

to Strap your memory, you are going to want to change the FSB strap to the NB as the ASUS P5QL-E BIOS calls it...here is a pic for an example. When you do that, then set what you want for the Memory, I would stick with 800MHz since you are running DDR2 memory, so set it as close to 800 as you can...example here

I would bump the FSB to 275MHz, giving you 2475MHz. You should be able to get into Windows with auto voltages (~1.3V) Download and install OCCT 2.0a and run that for 1 hour. make sure you are using either coretemp or realtemp to monitor your temperatures under load (very important) When its done, you can then bump it up to 290 or 300MHz, then retest for stability. It it becomes unstable, take the votlages off of Auto and bring it up to 1.3275 or 1.3500V and retest...

Overclocking is a long and drawn out process...when you have your CPU stable and at an OC you like, then its time to move onto your RAM, when you get to it, let us know and we can help

I'm about to give up. I tried increasing the CPU voltage to 1.4v, but I can't get past 2.5GHz. I did not mess with the NB and SB voltages.

I don't know what else to try.