Xfx Gtx 280 Xxx Or Hd 4870 Crossfire?

RedOctober

in a previous post i said i was going to get either gtx 280,9800gx2 or hd4807x2

cant really afford the hd4870x2,but now im thinking of crossfiring 2 hd 4870.ive gone off the 9800gx2 due to all the heat issues ive read about

But ive read that the hd4870 crossfire doesnt work so well in some games and is beaten by the gtx 280,but at the same time the crossfire set up beats the gtx 280 in other games.and they scale up about the same so im confused totally.

PLEASE HELP

xfx gtx 280xxx edition or sapphire hd 4870 in crossfire?

Im not a fan boy of either manufacturer,but the drivers of my current card(hd3850) where horrible when i first got it,now im leaning towards nvidia!

my rig

nzxt tempest case

antec true power 1000w psu

asus m3a32 mvp deluxe mobo

phenom x4 9950 black edition

4gb ocz reaper 1066 mhz

22" syncmaster and 19" acer monitors

vista premium

pioneer 202 blue ray rom

lite on dvdr 20x

samsung spinpoint 7200 500gb

seagate barracuda 7200 150gb

logitech g15 board

razer lachesis mouse and exactmat

creative fatal1ty headset and sound card

Isnt this thread rather similar? http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=156740

As i said back there, you cant have CF or SLI with to monitors so immediately that is out of the question unless you want to give up the 19" (and even then 22" isnt really big enough to justify CF/SLI) Get 1x 4870 or 1x GTX 280 i say. And dont buy another AMD (hey, you already have the fastest one they make lol....)

Isnt this thread rather similar? http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=156740

As i said back there, you cant have CF or SLI with to monitors so immediately that is out of the question unless you want to give up the 19" (and even then 22" isnt really big enough to justify CF/SLI) Get 1x 4870 or 1x GTX 280 i say. And dont buy another AMD (hey, you already have the fastest one they make lol....)

Multi-monitor support for SLI is coming this month :) Read here

He has a 3850, that's far from the the fastest :unsure:

Anyway, since you're set on a multi-monitor setup, go for the nVidia card IMO

Multi-monitor support for SLI is coming this month :) Read here

He has a 3850, that's far from the the fastest :unsure:

Anyway, since you're set on a multi-monitor setup, go for the nVidia card IMO

Cool, didnt know about the multi-monitor SLI. And by AMD i meant AMD, not Ati/AMD lol......ie i was refering to the cpu ;)

thanks for the info guys,the other thread wasnt giving me the info needed

Im going for the xfx gtx 280 xxx edition.Nvidia in my opinion are better quality,support,drivers etc.

and the xfx card comes with lifetime warrenty.

its 350 quid over here in uk,im getting it from the usa and even with delivery charges to get it here its 40 quid cheaper,we get ripped off in the uk

What heat issues with the 9800GX2 are you referring to? I don't remember reading anything about them...

-It was initially delayed due to excessive heat. The poor physical design caused the heat from one GPU to actually heat the other one(oops). That was fixed with a better cooler layout.

-The card itself runs very hot - 90+c at full load. While that is not dangerous at all for the cards since they are built to take 100+c, it is still not good for overclocking(cooler is better! What is stable at 60c may not be stable at 90...)

-Most importantly, the actual heat radiating from the card - when paired with certain motherboards - causes the southbridge to actually overheat(and NB if its connected by heatpipe like many enthusiast boards), triggering the motherboards safety shut-off feature. Even if the heat does not trigger the board to shutdown, the extra NB temps cause instability in CPU overclocks - especially on quads.

The first point was easily fixed before release, and the second point is not really a problem but a nuisance. The third is the real thing to watch out for, but luckily is only a problem on certain boards.

Still a very fast and powerful card, just make sure all the details are accounted for before purchasing.