Deep Sea Tripwire

sYstEmATiC

The Canadian military has signed a $3.1-million deal to create a deep-sea "tripwire" system to catch smugglers, terrorists or others trying to approach Canada's coasts illegally. The contract with MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd. is the latest effort to use new technology to cover vast stretches of coastline that Canada's modest military cannot effectively monitor with ships and aircraft alone.

The new surveillance system uses a series of sea-floor devices that detect the engine sounds and metal hulls of ships that refuse to announce their presence in Canada waters. "It's a fairly new idea," said Garry Heard, the Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, defense scientist in charge of the project. "This would give you a warning if any intruder passed a barrier." The navy already uses fixed, permanent monitors on the seabed to watch for intruding submarines and other potentially hostile vessels on Canada's coastal approaches, a system that is shrouded in secrecy. But the older monitors are expensive to install and maintain, and cannot readily be moved to adapt to newly identified threats.

thats a good idea....america needs to get something like that, and so does mexico.

(i hate the flu <_< :wacko::( )

What a great idea, being an only coastline country we could use something like that added to our existing over the horizon radar system make it harder for people smugglers coming through indonesian island chains etc. :O

On another note we (Australia) got our first fully armed customs vessel/unit today... that'll catch those darn fishing poachers :P

On another note we (Australia) got our first fully armed customs vessel/unit today... that'll catch those darn fishing poachers :P

lol, if thats the only problems your country faces then you guys are in awesome shape. i wish america only faced fishing poacher problems, all this terrorrism crap gets old an annoying, you cant do anything without going through a metal detector or something.

Edited by sYstEmATiC

i wish america only faced fishing poacher problems, all this terrorrism crap gets old an annoying, you cant do anything without going through a metal detector or something.

Look at the bright side no terrorist will ever take over an airplane with nail clippers or a belt buckle.

Look at the bright side no terrorist will ever take over an airplane with nail clippers or a belt buckle.

Or so you think. There has been many times that I have been to an airport to pick someone up and forgot that I had my knife in my pocket and it never got caught.