Moving Os From One Hd To Another?

Bizzlenitch

I currently have Windows XP and all my applications loaded on an older 160GB Hitachi HD and I'm curious, is there any way of transferring the OS, files, settings, etc. from that HD to my other 250GB Seagate without having to reload the OS onto the new HD? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You could try making an image of the installation, using norton ghost or something, and then using that to place on another drive.

However, I think you might/may have some problems if the disk is of different size...

You can clone drive in Acronis TrueImage using different size drives/partitions, as long as the total amount of data is smaller than the new partition/drive obviously... so you can clone a 200GB drive to a 120GB as long as the 200 has less than 120 actually used...

160 to 250 is not a problem

DiscWizard is the free Acronis tool at Seagate.com

Possibly Acronis has a free version at their site

You can clone drive in Acronis TrueImage using different size drives/partitions, as long as the total amount of data is smaller than the new partition/drive obviously... so you can clone a 200GB drive to a 120GB as long as the 200 has less than 120 actually used...

160 to 250 is not a problem

DiscWizard is the free Acronis tool at Seagate.com

Possibly Acronis has a free version at their site

I use DiscWizard all the time as a complete backup of the disk. However, I think it requires a seagate drive installed on the PC.