Sign in to follow this  
camcafe

Memory Capatibility Question

Hello,

I was wondering whether you can use a lower memory type (800) on a higher memory (1066 or 1200) motherboard.

I already own 4gb of PC6400 (800) memory and about to upgrade my motherboard that only says support 1066 or higher memory (800 not listed) from newegg. I don't want to spend more money in buying different memory.

Thanks

Doesn't mean you can't overclock it higher though.

Edit: Or lower, if you wanted.

Edited by Ste

Correct, the motherboard will happily go below it's specs and assuming it is a decent overclocker, above those specs as well. You can also mix different speeds of ram, but you'll have to run all sticks at the speed of the slowest stick.

You can also mix different speeds of ram, but you'll have to run all sticks at the speed of the slowest stick.

Well, be careful with that. As an example, I have some DDR2 800 right here on my desk that requires 1.9 v to run at 800. I have a set in my file server at 800 that requires 1.8v. I have some 1066 that requires 2.1 and won't even run at 800 with less than 2.0v. I have some 1200 that requires 2.3 v at and above 1000 but still needs 2.1 to 2.2v to run at 800. The likelihood of having success mixing and matching DDR2 is pretty slim these days because of the different voltage requirements.