Lhc Cern End Of The World???

My_Inner_Fred

Oh lawd, Ste is the end-all-be-all authority in physics just because he read some books! :lol:

Strange Matter as in Quark Matter. Not Dark Matter.

All your rebuttals as to what may occur are based on the assumption that all we know about the universe and physics is correct. This is a foolish assumption to make. You are completely ruling out any possibilities which current physics says can't work simply because current physics says it can't work. The logic behind your disbelief seems incredibly similar to the opposition to Darwin's ideas. Event he scientists behind the LHC don't know exactly what can and cannot happen with it. Yes they've done their best to calculate anything within the realm of our knowledge but obviously that only gets us so far. The LHC is a device on a scale the world has never seen before. Mysteries are bound to be revealed to us through its use. And besides, if everything it could do could simply be predicted with some formulas and variables, why build the damn thing in the first place? The answer to that question is to see what can happen. To see what we have never seen before.

So you sir can continue to sit there and deny all those theoretical outcomes. I'll live my life believing the science on the edge. After all, that is how we have gotten where we are now.

Do note that what I posted is not an attack, it's simply an observation.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ancient Mayan's calendar says December 21, 2012 is the end of the world :P If no one has mentioned that yet. If we all die, then I guess we can take a shortcut to find out if there really is an afterlife. Or we can discover something amazing, that is if they ever find something.

Oh lawd, Ste is the end-all-be-all authority in physics just because he read some books! :lol:

Strange Matter as in Quark Matter. Not Dark Matter.

All your rebuttals as to what may occur are based on the assumption that all we know about the universe and physics is correct. This is a foolish assumption to make. You are completely ruling out any possibilities which current physics says can't work simply because current physics says it can't work. The logic behind your disbelief seems incredibly similar to the opposition to Darwin's ideas. Event he scientists behind the LHC don't know exactly what can and cannot happen with it. Yes they've done their best to calculate anything within the realm of our knowledge but obviously that only gets us so far. The LHC is a device on a scale the world has never seen before. Mysteries are bound to be revealed to us through its use. And besides, if everything it could do could simply be predicted with some formulas and variables, why build the damn thing in the first place? The answer to that question is to see what can happen. To see what we have never seen before.

So you sir can continue to sit there and deny all those theoretical outcomes. I'll live my life believing the science on the edge. After all, that is how we have gotten where we are now.

Do note that what I posted is not an attack, it's simply an observation.

Noone is an expert, not even the "so called" experts.

But I gave my opinion, just as you did, and I stand by mine, just as I expect you as well.

The world will not end. (Even though I wish it would)

I bet you my life. :P

Edited by Ste

This thread makes my head hurt.

The LHC can not cause anything catastrophic. Even if it can create miniature black holes we're talking about black holes with less mass than a single atom. A SINGLE ATOM! They will collapse before they can do anything at all...assuming that we can even create them!

The amount of buffoonery (sorry for stealing your word Kash) in this thread astonishes me. People really need to read up on the facts behind something before they start saying it should be illegal, banned, etc. The world hasn't spent 9 BILLION dollars on this project because they have no clue what it will do.

This thread makes my head hurt.

The LHC can not cause anything catastrophic. Even if it can create miniature black holes we're talking about black holes with less mass than a single atom. A SINGLE ATOM! They will collapse before they can do anything at all...assuming that we can even create them!

The amount of buffoonery (sorry for stealing your word Kash) in this thread astonishes me. People really need to read up on the facts behind something before they start saying it should be illegal, banned, etc. The world hasn't spent 9 BILLION dollars on this project because they have no clue what it will do.

Welcome to the association. :closedeyes:

i know this is probably futile, but i'll say it anyway...

does anyone remember what people said about the first atomic bomb ever set off? they said that it would break the bonds of the oxygen and hydrogen in the ocean and explode the entire world. did that happen? no. that was probably first said by someone who knew just enough physics to pass their highschool physics class.

this is the exact same thing... except that we have way more to learn from this supercollider (sp?) what people aren't realizing is that we have been smashing atoms at superfast speeds in colliders for years... so what if this one goes a little faster than the next, there isn't some huge speed (or whatever else) limit that if we cross it, we're gonna be caught by the celestial cops and thrown in a universal prison where our punishment will be some horrific death by black hole...

if you are going to scare uninformed people about black hole creation, or wormhole creation, at least try to learn a little more about them than the people you are trying to dupe...