Is The Router Hooped?

LobbDogg

ok, this has me very puzzled. My sister has a little linksys router. And while everything is connected up properly. MODEM -> ROUTER -> COMPUTER.

The computer still gets an IP from the ISP. So essentially it passes right through the router and goes straight to the computer. Here is where I throw in a twist. The router used to give out the 192.168.1.x address to the computer just fine. But I ended up rebooting the computer and then it was the ISP IP addy.

So, here is what I have noticed....

-Modem connected right into computer, internet works fine, but no hardware firewall

-I've reset the modem as well as unplugging both DSL modem and router and plugged back in.

-if I do get an internal IP, I try to renew the WAN IP in the router config menu, but it cannot get an IP. But if there is no router in between, then the NIC will get a IP just fine.

-And like I said, even with the router in between, sometimes i'll get the ISP IP address on the computer.

-Ive tried renewing and releaseing on the comp and under the config menu for the router.

There is only one computer connected to the router. She is using it for a firewall.

If anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them. Its really confusing me. Thanks

I'm going to give you some ideas, but they are generalized information on the setup and maybe one of them will resolve your problem.

. Make sure that the modem is set as bridge mode. Sometimes it's possible when you tried resetting the modem it went back to its default.

. Upgrade the router firmware to the latest version.

. Make sure that the computer is not plugged into the DMZ router port [if any.]

. I would suggest to disable DHCP on the router and assign an IP in the form of 192.168.1.x to the computer. Make sure that you enter the correct DNS server #1 and #2 information from the ISP.

. Check for any configuration setup on the router, maybe ippassthrough is enabled. If that's the case, disable it.

If still having problems, provide us with the model # and firmware version of the router and modem too.

this is a problem i had when i changed my router, when i changed form my belkin to a us robotics one, i kept the same adaptee (power jobby) andd used that, given the new oen with my belkin to a m8 who wanted to buy a router.

the router didnt fit the old router but the old adapter fit my new one, and my router worked fine, so we swapped and we went apart again.

Now this is why when i bought my new router it was from underneath the front desk, the adaptor was faulty, it didnt supply neough joice and the sytem light was never on, or sometimes on occasiounally.

one comp could connetc though the router fine, but it didplasyed the isp ip address, not the 192.168 thing, so that was wierd, and the other comp couldnt get on at all lol.

so it was a faulty power adaptor, my bet is you swap that adaptor for one thta workd good and that problem will go away.

I'd probably need to send it for warranty, cause the return period is over at the store where I work. I figured as much. This is the third Linksys router that has I've not been able to get working. Maybe I just have bad luck with them.