Bfg 9800gtx Ocx Overheating Issue.

Hi!

As you can read in my specs I've assembled a nice rig. My case is not listed, but it is a gaming case with 3 fans (120mm front/rear, 80mm side)...see here: http://www.gimba.com.br/imagens/produtos/10223380.jpg. Its a normal (ugly) one, but has good airflow.

Well, with all this information you can have a pretty good picture of my scenario, and may be able to give a solution to the following:

When I run Crysis or 3Dmark06 (both GPU demanding) at the default clocks of my 9800 (755/2300/1890) an error accurs, the S.O. (Vista 32 bit) cuts to desktop and displays "The video driver has stoped but has successfully recovered" in a yellow exclamation mark next to the taskbar clock. By underclocking (RivaTuner) each clock about 50Hz this problem does not happen...could it be an overheating issue? I mean, less clock less heat...maybe somebody with the same OCX version could post a reply.

The BFG support asked me to send the card to them so it can be replaced (I've posted the same issue to them)...but I'm in Brazil, BFG is in UK...is too much money to ship the card, they will have to wait me get the money.

nForce 177.79

Striker BIOS 1305

RivaTuner displays 80 to 82 degrees celsius in the HW monitor while playing Crysis (All VeryHigh, except by Shadows and PostProcessing that are set to High)

One thing I've noticed is that the card is right above the southbridge by a nail...maybe the overheat is in that area, but I want your opinion mates.

Regards

80C load is pretty warm.

If you're using rivatuner, edit the fan profile such that it just runs at 100% all the time. Then see what your temperatures look like.

:thumbs-up:

Gonna give it a try...but I'm concerned about keep the fan at 100%, besides the noise wich is very loud. Anyway, I'll post the result here as soon as possible.

i really wouldnt worry about that fan's noise when you have 3x120mm fans in the front of your case... you won't be able to hear it over your case fans. my buddy runs his 9800GTX with 100% fan all the time and has O/C'd his card to 801 core/1977 shaders/2402 Memory (effective.)

it only runs at 51C idle and 69C load. my 8800GT runs at surprisingly the exact same temps whilst overclocked to 734/1782/2106

and we both run our fans at 100% all the time.

so yeah, you will definitely benefit from the fan increase.

EDIT: forgot to attach screenshot of the 9800GTX.

Edited by turophiliac

i really wouldnt worry about that fan's noise when you have 3x120mm fans in the front of your case... you won't be able to hear it over your case fans. my buddy runs his 9800GTX with 100% fan all the time and has O/C'd his card to 801 core/1977 shaders/2402 Memory (effective.)

it only runs at 51C idle and 69C load. my 8800GT runs at surprisingly the exact same temps whilst overclocked to 734/1782/2106

and we both run our fans at 100% all the time.

so yeah, you will definitely benefit from the fan increase.

EDIT: forgot to attach screenshot of the 9800GTX.

My case has not 3 120mm fans in the front. It has one 120mm rear fan and another one in the front, the third one is 80mm located at the clearside. Anyway, the noise is not my main concern, it is the lifetime of the card. But as I said mate, I'm going to try this "solution".

Thanks in advance.

PS: Nice clocks! What's your 3dmark score (06/vantage)? How many FPS on Crysis (VeryHigh)?

Edited by AlexandreNegrao

My case has not 3 120mm fans in the front. It has one 120mm rear fan and another one in the front, the third one is 80mm located at the clearside. Anyway, the noise is not my main concern, it is the lifetime of the card. But as I said mate, I'm going to try this "solution".

Thanks in advance.

PS: Nice clocks! What's your 3dmark score (06/vantage)? How many FPS on Crysis (VeryHigh)?

Well...it worked for about 30min in load(Crysis) when I set the fan to 100%...but then the same error happened again. Do you need pics or more specs? What the heck! Can't believe my OCX is F#$%$#ed up like that.

Edited by AlexandreNegrao

• 1 month later...
Well...it worked for about 30min in load(Crysis) when I set the fan to 100%...but then the same error happened again. Do you need pics or more specs? What the heck! Can't believe my OCX is F#$%$#ed up like that.

i had this exact same problem with my xfx 9800ftx, i uninstalled the driver and reinstalled straight off the nvidia site and i havent had a problem since

hey..why not go for a third party cooler like thermalright hr03gt or thermalright t-rad?

the temps will definitely drop..provided u have a side fan to exhuast it well...

i am having 85 for load with my previous asus 9800gtx..

after installing a hr03gt, it dropped to 65..:)