Sign in to follow this  
Turophiliac

One Of Those "i Was Thinking" Questions

lol i was thinking one day, about watercooling, and a thought popped into my head.

what if you combined the best aspects of water and air cooling?

follow me here:

i have the Tuniq Tower, which works great for cooling my e8400, but what if you got something like the TRUE, and created a waterproof tank around it, think square, and then ran your watercooling hose into one side, and out the other, in the same fashion as the air moves through it normally...

i realize the TRUE would probably be way too big for this, but maybe something like 1/2 size, or even 1/3 size.

wouldnt this help the water to cool it even more efficiently than normal waterblocks do?

any ideas? input?

btw i haven't seen how many waterblocks are machined, only some crappy ones at radioshack, so if this is already being done, give me a link!

Take this with a grain of salt, I am not thermodynamics engineer (or whatever)

Whilst your method would work it wouldn't be very efficient, water blocks flow a high pressure jet of er.... WATER into the internal cavity of the block. The block is designed so the jets get even flow throughout the cavity and maintain a certain pressure.

Your design would cause the water to just flow around inside of the "box" and flow towards the least amount of resistance, that would work but you'd be limited to what the areas of flow could dissipate and pockets of stagnant water may pool up and create hotspots on or around the heatsink.

Don't let that stop you however, its a neat idea...

With the right heatsink and the right approach you could make a fairly decent cooler...

Edited by Andrewr05

People have technically done this (in a way), think of the vegetable oil cooled rigs where they just submerse the whole thing.

Initially I thought you were gonna say there should be a waterblock with heatpipes to a 120mm air cooler sitting on top of the block. :)

Initially I thought you were gonna say there should be a waterblock with heatpipes to a 120mm air cooler sitting on top of the block. :)

Lol, why not? ;)

I think it is a good idea in theory, but it wouldnt just be a matter of combining an air cooler with water for the reasons andrew mentioned. Some water blocks do actually have small spikes into the water flow, rather than just a smooth base, so it has been thought about.

Good water cooling systems will get temperatures close to ambient temperatures...you can't do better than that without a refrigeration cycle (aka phase).

Water blocks don't need ridiculous amounts of fins, because they have sufficient heat transfer without it.

As you get closer to ambient temperatures, it gets ever increasingly difficult to lower temperatures.

My vote: overkill and not worth it. You're going to have more trouble getting sufficient seals than anything else.

PS: BSME

afaik it hasn't been done because it's not really needed (blocks are already efficient enough) and you'd need an uprated pump to handle that sort of obstruction.

hmmm, all interesting viewpoints. the reason i suggested this was because the waterblock i had seen only had a U shaped groove with each point of the u aiming at either the intake or exhaust (for lack of better terminology) holes.

I see what you mean about hot spots Andrew, i realized that when i was thinking about it, but maybe something of a different shape?

maybe almost torpedo shaped, to where there would be no place for hot spots?

btw can anybody find a link to a waterblock that has the spikes technology that comp dude was talking about?

great discussion guys, this is exactly what i wanted.

the Swiftech Apogee series has diamond shaped spikes with a cross-flow system... Swiftech Storm has impingement jets and a series of corresponding hollowed cavities (inverted spikes if you will)...

a lot of blocks have quite complex construction, so it's more than just a copper plate with a channel of water above it

awesome hardnrg, those were exactly what i was talking about, albeit on a smaller scale.

yeah, the ones i have seen the insides of were pretty cheap ones and i had never seen the inner workings of worthwhile blocks.

thanks guys!