Comptia A+

k7leafclover

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It helped when citi group told me to come in for an interview to be a system's administrator. Oh yeah and when this Office was in need of an assistant here at this place in Queens. When you have a Comptia Cert it always puts you above one level higher than someone else when people are applying for the same job you are and you will be taken into consideration :)

In other words it's always something good to have as back up when your applying for a job dealing with computers or something similar.

It helped when citi group told me to come in for an interview to be a system's administrator. Oh yeah and when this Office was in need of an assistant here at this place in Queens. When you have a Comptia Cert it always puts you above one level higher than someone else when people are applying for the same job you are and you will be taken into consideration :)

In other words it's always something good to have as back up when your applying for a job dealing with computers or something similar.

Queenz is 100% incorrect.

Any company that thinks more highly of someone with an A+ Cert than someone without doesn't know anything about computers or networking.

A+ is absolute garbage. Yes, I took it...after I already had a solid job. The only new stuff I "learned" was utterly pointless (sorry, I don't need to know how to fix a mac from 1984).

Any company that thinks more highly of someone with an A+ Cert than someone without doesn't know anything about computers or networking.

A+ is absolute garbage. Yes, I took it...after I already had a solid job. The only new stuff I "learned" was utterly pointless (sorry, I don't need to know how to fix a mac from 1984).

Agreed. I passed in 12 minutes without studying... and I am most certainly not in the top 80% of savvy people on this board, let alone competing in the job market.

Example:

What is the best use for a computer with a Duron processor?

I was like "you have to be kidding me"

And your 100% incorrect. Yea to some they could care less whether you have your A+ cert but to other companies it might make a difference stop acting like you know everything damn you your not in my life you haven't been threw all of my job applying experiences. Do you know what companies I been to asking for a job???? NOOO you don't so don't say I'm 100% incorrect. Yes your right A+ is absolute garbage but who cares. Some companies but not all when they see your A+ cert on your resume it makes them look into you more. And you said, "Any company that thinks more highly of someone with an A+ Cert than someone without doesn't know anything about computers or networking" well guess what that isn't true. Even companies that don't have nothing to do with computers look at these things cause it shows to them you have another education from your background and your ability to learn new things. Trust me I know this I have parents who freaking interview people to work in their office at their factory. Things like this are sometimes taken into consideration ya know. Look clay I'm not trying to be mean but you can't always make it look like your right. I'm constantly around my parents when they work and I see how the business goes. Yes not all companies are like this but some are. I know there are people who pass this test and don't know too much about computers but when you show that cert to some it can make a difference to you and their decision. You only think your right cause it may have happened to you or people ya know, but guess what not everyone. There are millions of people in the US and you know things don't happen to everyone the same way they happen to you

Agreed. I passed in 12 minutes without studying... and I am most certainly not in the top 80% of savvy people on this board, let alone competing in the job market.

Example:

What is the best use for a computer with a Duron processor?

I was like "you have to be kidding me"

The bin? home file server?

Uhh, Clay is right.

A+ is a pile of garbage. I got mine for free graduating high school, and decided to get Network+ because my job would pay for it.

Hiring personal very often know little about computers. Ever seen an ad for a computer professional that didn't require MCSE or MCSA or CCNA or CCNP or some combination thereof? You know why they include those four every time and nothing else? Because those certs are the buzz-word certs everyone knows what are.

Most jobs will hire you regardless of your certifications. Work experience is 100 times more important to the vast majority of employers. It doesn't matter what you know, it matters that you can recall and reuse that information.

The bin? home file server?

I think I recall choosing "home office wokstation" because the other choices were way more advanced. I think they included "enterprise application server" and a few others that were similar.

And your 100% incorrect. Yea to some they could care less whether you have your A+ cert but to other companies it might make a difference stop acting like you know everything damn you your not in my life you haven't been threw all of my job applying experiences. Do you know what companies I been to asking for a job???? NOOO you don't so don't say I'm 100% incorrect. Yes your right A+ is absolute garbage but who cares. Some companies but not all when they see your A+ cert on your resume it makes them look into you more. And you said, "Any company that thinks more highly of someone with an A+ Cert than someone without doesn't know anything about computers or networking" well guess what that isn't true. Even companies that don't have nothing to do with computers look at these things cause it shows to them you have another education from your background and your ability to learn new things. Trust me I know this I have parents who freaking interview people to work in their office at their factory. Things like this are sometimes taken into consideration ya know. Look clay I'm not trying to be mean but you can't always make it look like your right. I'm constantly around my parents when they work and I see how the business goes. Yes not all companies are like this but some are. I know there are people who pass this test and don't know too much about computers but when you show that cert to some it can make a difference to you and their decision. You only think your right cause it may have happened to you or people ya know, but guess what not everyone. There are millions of people in the US and you know things don't happen to everyone the same way they happen to you

So what if your parents interview people. Like I implied, they obviously know nothing about computers if they hold someone with an A+ cert in a higher light than one without. It's not hard to prove your knowledge of computers in an interview without an A+ cert, and I'd much rather hire someone who can do so than someone that has an A+ cert and doesn't display any further knowledge.

And I'm sorry, but there's no way Citigroup cared about A+. Maybe that's why you didn't get the job...because all you had was A+ and no system or network administration background.

So what if your parents interview people. Like I implied, they obviously know nothing about computers if they hold someone with an A+ cert in a higher light than one without. It's not hard to prove your knowledge of computers in an interview without an A+ cert, and I'd much rather hire someone who can do so than someone that has an A+ cert and doesn't display any further knowledge.

And I'm sorry, but there's no way Citigroup cared about A+. Maybe that's why you didn't get the job...because all you had was A+ and no system or network administration background.

I didn't get the job because they were wanting me to be full time which I didn't find out until after I got hired. It would be interfering with my attendance at NCC. I could do only part time. What the plus was to the job is that I would also have paid training and start off at $20/hour

I wouldn't say my A+ was a complete waste of time... but it was close. I only took it because the company I work for wanted me to take it. Not to show how well I could do but to say that our help desk and repair center is made up of technicians that are all certified. Will it get you a job... no. But if you have two identical people but one has an A+ that will be the breaking point, not to mention its kinda fun to say your a certified PC professional! I did learn some new stuff while studying, alot of it jargon that I can't say to customers anyway so I did take that as a waste of time. However I understand how laser printers work, the different levels of networking and the pro's and con's of each. I would say not to get it unless your employer needs/requires it or if it will give you a promotion or something.

A+ sucks for the following reasons:

IRQs are a thing of the past.

PCs don't come with floppy drives.

Laser printers don't really get serviced by standard techs.

Ethernet and Fiber are the only networking really in place. Token rings?

Here's why its good:

Most companies still use old . stuff.

It's first step of learning when your in high school, etc.

Teaches basic customer service standards, i.e., how to talk to them (kind of)

AND more importantly...

Queenz, your lying or bending the truth somewhere... No company, especially a big one like CitiGroup, is going to hire a SysAdmin and then give them paid training, especially with just an A+. You sure you weren't applying for like, Help Desk I?

I have 3+ years experience as a SysAdmin and Sys Support Admin and would get turned down because all I have is A+ and Net+...