Building Up A System

jimcobico888

Hi there,

I'm building my first rig. After reading a lot of articles, a lot of confusions :D etc, I decided to go with an E8500 processor (for the meantime) with a crossfireX setup. Im still choosing between 2 4850 or 2 4870. I'll probably start with a 2GB Crossair Dominator, if i could get one in my location, then probably upgrade to 4 or 8GB in the future. Im having a hardtime choosing a motherboard and would appreciate your suggestions. Recently Im eyeing Asus P5Q Deluxe or Asus Rampage Formula. Im also planning to upgrade to a Quadcore Xtreme in the future so I would prefer a board the can handle it. And yes im planning to do some overclocking. ;) Other components in my line-up are, Thermaltake DuOrb or Zalman CNPS9700 LED, CLSB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty, of course if my budget will still permit it. :D Please do make suggestions on any parts that Ive written and not written here.

By the way, I'll be using this rig for my Photo editing (Photosho CS3), 3D (Studio Max, Maya) and of course PC Games!!! :D

Thanks in advance and Ill appreciate any suggestions.

Depending on the size of your case, for a cooler, I'd go with a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme, Xigmatek HDT-S1283, Noctua NH-U12P or an OCZ Vendetta II. Those will cool much better than the ones you listed. For a case, go with something that'll offer good airflow and lots of fans

Coolermaster Stacker 830

Thermaltake Armor

Coolermaster Cosmos 1000

Coolermaster 690

Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P60

NZXT Tempest

Antec 900

Antec 1200

Other motherboards to consider would be

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS4P

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6

GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4

GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS5

GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6

Edited by Rokkaholik

Thanks a lot Rokkaholik for the reply! I will definitely consider your suggestions. But first, I'll have to research 'em. I agree with you to go for a large casing. Im eyeing the Cosmos as ive been reading a lot of praises about it. My problem here is that many parts Im considering is not available here in my location. So ill probably order them online,...yeah, which means additional cost... :D

Again many thanks!

I would suggest 2x2gb DDR2 1066Mhz. It provides better performance compared to a 2x1gb. Also, if you are thinking to go for 2x4870, might as well get a 4870x2, easier anyway since u wont need crossfire.

For coolers, it really depends if you would be OC-ing or not. If you are, Nortua NH-U12p and Them. Ultra 120(theres still a few, but i cant remember the names now)

anyway..still a solid build

regarding the memory, would it be better if i could get 2x2gb 1333mhz? or they arent compatible with the mobos i listed?

About the gpu, i think youre right! ;)

Nope, this 1333MHz RAM is DDR3, those boards you listed use DDR2

And yep, might as well get a 4870X2 instead of 2x 4870

;)

So ill probably order them online,...yeah, which means additional cost... :D

actually parts are cheaper online, if your in the U.S. look at www.newegg.com

they have great discounts, sales, clearances, and the shipping is god like :)

case - look at the Cooler master stacker 832, or Cooler master cosmos

motherboard - Go with a P45 chipset. Some good brands at the moment are Asus, and Biostar. Personally i think the Gigabyte P45's are to expensive for the chipset. Biostar has only two interesting models, the Tpower I45 and the TForce I45, personally i would go with the TPower its great for overclocking (dual cores, for quads good but Asus would probably be better). If not the TPower go with the Asus P5Q

Tpower - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813138118

P5Q Delux - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131297

For memory definitely go with a 2X2GB set, maybe at above 800MHz. Two extremely great sets are the Crucial Ballistix and the Mushkin Redline

Mushkin - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146755

Crucial - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820148212

Cooler - i think theres only two coolers people should ONLY consider, the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme. the Xigmatek is one of the cheapest coolers but probably the second best cooler there is. The TRUE is basically the BEST cooler out ther and price range from $50-65. You choose.

Video card - if you can afford it go with a 4870x2

power supply - I would look at the Corsair TX750W, or the Seasonic M12 700w

Corsair - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139006

Seasonic - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817151031

Edited by damian

Thanks Zertz and damian for the reply!

damian - thanks for the tip regarding online ordering. actually im here in Saudi Arabia though im no Saudi. So i think shipping it here might be more expensive, or am i mistaken? Most shops here dont carry products that i have been reading about so i got no choice but to order online for some parts and have it ship here. Thanks for the links. i'll check them out later.

Btw, i've read this a couple of times. Crossfire is better on an X38 chipset. Why is it so? Anyone?

Again thanks for the replies!

oh that sucks newegg doesn't ship out of states.

Well the X38 is a good board but X48 is better and similar in the price range at the moment. People usually say it's better for crossfire because in a dual card set up both cards operate at x16 speeds, and the P45 motherboards, both cards in a dual card set up, run at x8 speeds instead of x16.

But thats not to say you will get horrible performance using crossfire on a P45 chipset.

oh that sucks newegg doesn't ship out of states.

Well the X38 is a good board but X48 is better and similar in the price range at the moment. People usually say it's better for crossfire because in a dual card set up both cards operate at x16 speeds, and the P45 motherboards, both cards in a dual card set up, run at x8 speeds instead of x16.

But thats not to say you will get horrible performance using crossfire on a P45 chipset.

thanks again damian. it does sucks! i was hoping sites like amazon can deliver. unfortunately amazon doesnt either. anyone who knows a site that can deliver here in ksa?

thanks again...

Edited by jimcobico888