Help Me!

Special_K

hey i just got home from college and i brought along my computer. we have a cable hookup and i was wondering how to get my computer hooked up to the internet through my parents. they're computer is hook up to the internet via a usb2 hookup and im trying to milk off it through ethernet.

ive run connection wizards and stuff but i just cant figure it out. please help me here?

basic outline of what i want to do:

INTERNET <--- PARENTS COMPUTER <--- MY COMPUTER

If both computers are running Windows XP, just enable Internet Connection sharing.

I am not too sure whether you need a regular ethernet cable to connect the 2 computers or a xover cable.

:withstupid:

A crossover cable is used to connect ONLY two PCs; Cat5,Cat5E, etc are used to connect to NICs and hubs, switches and/or routers.

sprint uses modems that require a crossover cable...dont ask me why....

if ICS doesnt work try using netscape proxy on your parents pc...its easy to setup and will allow you to do what you wanted

Edited by Hades25

First, it one works then the other does not! Get a better routter! Second. I dont refer to it as crossover cable i refer to it as cat5!! So... get 3 computers, yours, parents and a crappy one! Install 3 ethernet cards into the crappy one and use that as the router! that will work... what kinda router do you got anyway?

First, it one works then the other does not! Get a better routter! Second. I dont refer to it as crossover cable i refer to it as cat5!! So... get 3 computers, yours, parents and a crappy one! Install 3 ethernet cards into the crappy one and use that as the router! that will work... what kinda router do you got anyway?

1) He doesn't have a router, that is the point of this post, trying to share internet

2) If he doesn't have a router, I doubt he wants to invest in a crap comp and some ethernet cards to make a router.

3) there is a dif between and Xover cable and regular cat5, as they don't require a router or hub to connect PCs

On the part of answering the delimna, either he figured it out already, or he would have posted something about it, as he has had a week to do so.

I am not trying to flame, but there were no viable options or useful information answering his questions.