Cpu Temp

Risensun

I'm putting together a build and iv run into a bit of a problem when it comes to CPU temps.

Right now iv got a Core 2 due E8500 running on the stock cooling because the HSF I bought was...just bad, waiting for a back plate to ship here so I can actually install it without breaking my Mobo. Anyway the stock fan is keeping the processor at around 50 Celsius at idle (no overclocking yet), now this seems really high to me even with it being stock. I even replaced the thermal paste that came with it with TX-2 ultra, which makes me think maybe I applied it wrong or something, I have no idea really. I did not bother testing it with the paste that came with it so I have nothing to compare it to. So what do you think, did I do something wrong or is this normal?

I'm putting together a build and iv run into a bit of a problem when it comes to CPU temps.

Right now iv got a Core 2 due E8500 running on the stock cooling because the HSF I bought was...just bad, waiting for a back plate to ship here so I can actually install it without breaking my Mobo. Anyway the stock fan is keeping the processor at around 50 Celsius at idle (no overclocking yet), now this seems really high to me even with it being stock. I even replaced the thermal paste that came with it with TX-2 ultra, which makes me think maybe I applied it wrong or something, I have no idea really. I did not bother testing it with the paste that came with it so I have nothing to compare it to. So what do you think, did I do something wrong or is this normal?

50C idle? Yuck. That's a bit warm. I'm running stock...and fully loaded the cores don't touch that (coretemp).

What software are you using to check the temperature? What case do you have? What are the ambient temperatures?

If you've never installed TIM before, I would read this (for your processor type, of course).

Right now im just getting temps off the display built into the Mobo, I haven't even installed the OS yet. As for the case its a Cool Master CM 690 (case sides are currently removed), Ambient temperature is around 84 Fahrenheit.

Edit: As for the guide that's actually the same one I used, though the amount of TIM they recommended did not even spread out to cover the whole processor, so I added more.

Edit Edit: I think I solved my own problem, I moved around one fan in my case (so its blowing directly onto the HSF) and put the sides back on, Temperatures dropped 20 Degrees Celsius! As I install my OS my temps are at 30c, quite an improvement.

Edited by Risensun

lol, 20oC drop is pretty good. Taking the sides off doesnt always help as rather than air getting channeled through the case and out the back, it just gets fired out the side, and the exhaust fans do very little as they just suck air from outside the case, and blow it out again.