Monitor Keeps Flashing During Some Games

AMG

okays I got a new computer... with a HD4870 gpu, I made sure it is in properly and don't move, and checked the connections. However in some games the monitor flickers a bit, it used to anyways but not as much as this. the refresh rate is at 60 but it can go to 120 but that makes matters worst. is it my GPU or monitor starting to fail on me.

my monitor is a 17inch CRT from AOC, I know its getting old and it might be my problem I just wanna make sure first.

I m planning to get a good 24inch HD ready monitor in like a month or two so I don't really want to RMA or replace the gpu if I can help it.

Edited by AMG

It sounds to me like the monitor either struggling with refresh or clipping, which means it's on the way out probably. The only way to know for sure is to see if you can get a friend with an LCD/CRT to plug into it and test it out. Or if you have a spare monitor laying around, lcd or crt, just use that.

If another monitor does the same thing I would say it's your vid card, but I would at that point uninstall drivers in VGA mode. Then reinstall the drivers in normal mode at the desktop and see if this might not fix the issue. Also make sure you have the onboard graphics, if any, disabled. It's been known to cause strange issues at times. If still borked then I would RMA it.

if it was the GPU it would do it all the time..and it did it a bit with my old HD3870 not as bad through strangly. I have a old HD3870 I could try it can support the same drivers as this on anyways. IF that does it as well its most likey the monitor dieing *slowly* and one extra not if I turn up the refresh rate it will make matters worst.

if it was the GPU it would do it all the time..and it did it a bit with my old HD3870 not as bad through strangly. I have a old HD3870 I could try it can support the same drivers as this on anyways. IF that does it as well its most likey the monitor dieing *slowly* and one extra not if I turn up the refresh rate it will make matters worst.

Agreed, sounds like the monitor to me.

okays a up date...it appears to be the GPU, reason being is that this monitor is also doing the same thing on this compter, but I have a my dealts its the hardare itself. I think it may be the software the case, becasue my old HD3780 is on older drivers 8.6 I belive. It is possible it could be 8.8 playing up. I ll check this and see

okays no worries monitors and card are both fine it was a some drivers causing it ( gainwood for ATI) I use that for fan control * warning do not use it for over clocking with CRT* :P use CCC or ATITOOL or something* oh yeah and I changed connector as well