Pc Wont Power Off

Dr_Frankenstein

My pc has been running great for some time now, I decided to move up to SP1 but I didn't fancy just installing it over the top of my current system, So it was time to do a full format and fresh install. I slipstreamed SP1 into my Home Premium DVD all went fine and I did the full install. Vista is working great.

The issue I have is when I do a full shutdown (I'm definately not clicking Sleep). Windows shutsdown I hear it send the hard drives the power off signal because they turn off then immediately back on again and the whole pc just sits powered on not doing anything

To be 100% sure the install wasn't botched I have done another full install today but still have the same issue

I have looked at some settings in my BIOS but nothing has changed, Also device manager is showing ACPI x86-Based PC so that seems to be fine

So any ideas this is driving me nuts?

someone solved their problem by installing a new/different RAID driver:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/communiti...c=en-us&p=1

so maybe it's one of your drivers causing the system to hang rather than the OS itself (if ACPI is there in Device Manager, as you say, it seems Windows itself is ok)

two questions:

are you slipstreaming drivers into the SP1 disc? (if yes, try not adding drivers)

are you vLiting anything out of the SP1 disc? (if yes, try not removing anything, just integrating SP1)

Right I seem to have fixed the problem I reset my BIOS (I haven't changed anything) and it now shuts down fine grrr poxy computers I swear they have a mind of their own

edit

After some investigation I have found out what was causing the failed shutdown the Gigabyte P35-S3 has two SATA controllers one being the Gigabyte controller (Purple ports) and the other ICH9 controller (Orange Ports) If i disable AHCI (allows NCQ on supported hard drives) on the ICH9 controller the pc shuts down normally.

But I can leave the gigabyte controller in AHCI mode which is weird, Although I dont have any drives plugged into these ports, just my Esata drive when its needed as AHCI allows hotswapping. I still dont understand why this has happend no settings in the Bios were changed before or after SP1 so I still think windows is causing some kind of conflict? oh well maybe I will never know.