Foreign Language

Kamikaze_Badger

In a nutshell, I wish to learn German. However, I'm not happy with my current options. My school doesn't have it as a course, and due to AIT, I won't be able to attend college until 2010. My best option would be to use Rosetta Stone (free, provided by the Army), though I want a more technical approach. So that rules out that and seemingly every book ever written on foreign language.

So, does anyone here have any suggestion on literature or courses to look at? I want a technical approach to the language, one that starts from the ground up, not a book with a few rules, guidelines, and phrases that's designed to give me just enough to buy some groceries or go sightseeing.

In a nutshell, I wish to learn German. However, I'm not happy with my current options. My school doesn't have it as a course, and due to AIT, I won't be able to attend college until 2010. My best option would be to use Rosetta Stone (free, provided by the Army), though I want a more technical approach. So that rules out that and seemingly every book ever written on foreign language.

So, does anyone here have any suggestion on literature or courses to look at? I want a technical approach to the language, one that starts from the ground up, not a book with a few rules, guidelines, and phrases that's designed to give me just enough to buy some groceries or go sightseeing.

I hear Rosetta Stone is very good. I'll be looking into it when I relearn German (you don't use it, you lose it...). Free?!?! Go for it!

I can't recommend anything else other than taking courses. I've had 4 years of high school German...and another 2.5 in college (before RPI ditched the German program).

KB, I'd suggest doing the Rosetta Stone to learn the basics because hell, it's free.

Then afterward, I'd literally buy high school German books from Germany. That will get into the nitty-gritty and you'll understand it more.

:withstupid:

It's best to get a foundation built around common expressions, phrases and 'voices' - then start to learn technical details, after all, that's how natural language speakers start. Small children aren't taught to speak by being shown a list of grammatical tenses :P

When I was learning Spanish, I didn't move on to that kind of stuff for a whole year ;)

:withstupid:

It's best to get a foundation built around common expressions, phrases and 'voices' - then start to learn technical details, after all, that's how natural language speakers start. Small children aren't taught to speak by being shown a list of grammatical tenses :P

When I was learning Spanish, I didn't move on to that kind of stuff for a whole year ;)

Exactly.

Starting with a technical approach isn't likely to get you very far very quickly.

Of course, if you intend to become fluent the best thing to do would be to go and live in Germany for a bit. :)

Well I decided to do the smart thing and ask the German exchange student we're hosting this year. Only reason I didn't before was because I wasn't sure if she'd be up for it. Turns out, she loves to help people learn. She's gotten me started in a similar manner to Rosetta Stone. And you guys have a point, I'll work with RS first. Thanks!

I forgot to mention this in the PM I wrote to you, as I didn't know this thread existed.

Anyways, the best (and most childish and seemingly ridiculous) thing to do would be to ask her to speak german to you. Basically have her tell you what certain objects are called (go around the house and point at different things...) and string up the most basic conversations like that. That's how I learnt english at the english speaking school I went to in Germany :)

Exactly.

Starting with a technical approach isn't likely to get you very far very quickly.

Of course, if you intend to become fluent the best thing to do would be to go and live in Germany for a bit. :)

I teach Russian in a college and learned German in graduate school, where I took courses for two years. I used an old textbook from Stanford Univ. Press

that belonged to my sister who majored in Ger. at William and Mary. I looked for it in my bookshelves to tell you the name of the author, but I couldn't find

it, and anyway it has probably been out of print since before you were born.

I've heard good things about Rosetta Stone, but I wouldn't expect any kind of fluency from the program. You definitely need to work with a textbook too.

I wish mine were still in print, because it taught us how to read in Schrift--the old pre-Nazi German print. You have to learn the grammar, which is not

difficult compared to other languages. Once you start, you will notice similarities in certain words with English, then it becomes fun because German and

English are cousins in the same language family. Find a textbook that is used in colleges or at Monterey Defense Language Inst, which teaches soldiers who

need foriegn languages for some reason. The institute may have been renamed, but it will be similar and still in Monterey. Use the book and your lady friend

daily, even for 15 minutes, because it is better to practice and study a language like a musical instrument, every day for an hour or two, or less if you don't

have the time, but daily repetition is the key. Find a textbook that you like, that is important, otherwise you will throw it away in a week. Or burn it, which

is a little too much like the Nazis.

Good luck,

Tammuz, new member

• 3 weeks later...

Well I figured I'd come resurrect this thread to thank everyone for the advice. I'm on lesson 7/10 on unit 1/19 with Rosetta Stone, and I really am having fun with that, mixed with the other suggestions, and my own little thing of applying all the German I knew to the world around me, and translating words into what I knew. Jasmine says I'm learning fast. I plan on heading on over to Frankfurt for a couple weeks in 2010, hopefully I'll have everything laid down well enough that I can start fine tuning then. And King, I never got that PM from you.

Thanks everyone!

what the heck...KB is only 1 grade ahead of me!??!

Rosetta stone is pretty nice actually. I speak french and tried it out to see how it is, and is actually one of the better softwares out there. Might start using it for spanish now.

Edited by l33t p1mp

I teach Russian in a college and learned German in graduate school, where I took courses for two years. I used an old textbook from Stanford Univ. Press

that belonged to my sister who majored in Ger. at William and Mary. I looked for it in my bookshelves to tell you the name of the author, but I couldn't find

it, and anyway it has probably been out of print since before you were born.

I've heard good things about Rosetta Stone, but I wouldn't expect any kind of fluency from the program. You definitely need to work with a textbook too.

I wish mine were still in print, because it taught us how to read in Schrift--the old pre-Nazi German print. You have to learn the grammar, which is not

difficult compared to other languages. Once you start, you will notice similarities in certain words with English, then it becomes fun because German and

English are cousins in the same language family. Find a textbook that is used in colleges or at Monterey Defense Language Inst, which teaches soldiers who

need foriegn languages for some reason. The institute may have been renamed, but it will be similar and still in Monterey. Use the book and your lady friend

daily, even for 15 minutes, because it is better to practice and study a language like a musical instrument, every day for an hour or two, or less if you don't

have the time, but daily repetition is the key. Find a textbook that you like, that is important, otherwise you will throw it away in a week. Or burn it, which

is a little too much like the Nazis.

Good luck,

Tammuz, new member

I see your a new member WELCOME TO OCC!

What textbook would u recommend me to use to learn German?