United States Presidential Election 2008

Great_Gig

US Election  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for?

• Barack Obama
    • John McCain

Ding. A lot of the people who are "uninsured" are eligible for coverage, they just choose not to sign up for a variety of reasons.

My God I just hope Ron Paul doesn't read what you just typed. Ron Paul would be ashamed of you :lol:

I find it interesting that you targeted the obama half of my post. :lol: If RP would be ashamed how so... I'm still not fully aware of his position on taxes... but it probably includes less taxes for everyone.

To be honest I was exaggerating my post to see what response it would elicit.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find it interesting that you targeted the obama half of my post. :lol: If RP would be ashamed how so... I'm still not fully aware of his position on taxes... but it probably includes less taxes for everyone.

The Libertarian approach is the absolute smallest, least interventionist government possible. As few taxes as humanly possible for the government to cover its limited receipts. Very "founding fatherish." Paul wants low taxes and low government spending across the board. Libertarians also don't want to punish success like Democrats and other liberals do. They encourage it, it's the American way. If anything a Libertarian would be in favor of a low flat tax for everyone. Something I'd definitely go for. 10% for instance. You make $50,000? $5000 goes to the government. You make $10,000,000? $1,000,000 goes to the government.

The way our populist tax code is now, if you play your cards right and you make $50,000, your tax liability can be -$3000, while someone making $500,000 can have a tax liability of $220,000 easily. That, in my opinion, is un-American.

Those that make more than that can afford the higher taxes while those that make less definitely will be getting a well deserved tax break...

wow... had a good nap in Econ class eh?

Who makes that much? Business owners, what do they do when they have to pay more, cut costs in the business... how? Pay cuts, job cuts, raising prices, etc. etc.......

WE ALL PAY.......

Sheesh

Those that make more than that can afford the higher taxes while those that make less definitely will be getting a well deserved tax break...

Wow, this is exactly what got us where we are today.

FDR got the NEW DEAL passed by saying the exact same thing. Johnson got the GREAT SOCIETY passed on the same premise.

Let someone else pay for it. The problem is that YOU are "someone else" to everyone else that wants access to your money.

If if and buts were candy and nuts.. how does the rest of that saying go again? :lol:

And as I mentioned before, neither of the parties are really even approaching left wing are they.

Edited by jammin

Then there would be a load of fat dead people with allergies?

We do seem to hear an awfel lot about algery pills these days not that you mention it...

But... how about the chronic illness

:cough: Diabetes (type 1, not the fat kind) :cough: Cancer :cough:

lot?

I did the math and my diabetic supply costs would be about $300 a month without insurance. That does not count the cost of the DR visits. The co-pays are bad enough as it is.

I don't see removing health insurance as a viable option. But my view is a bit slanted.

The Libertarian approach is the absolute smallest, least interventionist government possible. As few taxes as humanly possible for the government to cover its limited receipts. Very "founding fatherish." Paul wants low taxes and low government spending across the board. Libertarians also don't want to punish success like Democrats and other liberals do. They encourage it, it's the American way. If anything a Libertarian would be in favor of a low flat tax for everyone. Something I'd definitely go for. 10% for instance. You make $50,000? $5000 goes to the government. You make $10,000,000? $1,000,000 goes to the government.
Ding! Ding!

But... how about the chronic illness

:cough: Diabetes (type 1, not the fat kind) :cough: Cancer :cough:

lot?

:withstupid:

It's easy to rant about eating healthier and getting exercise. Heck, for the most part I'd agree. Americans are fat and lazy, and a good percentage of their medical problems stem from this. But not all of them. Cancer and diabetes were the two that came to my mind as well. (Granted, I have one and my brother has the other.) The no-insurance plan works great until you get one of those. You can cut my yearly medical bills in half if you want, there's still no way I could even come close to paying them without insurance.

I agree with Ex-Roadie's suggestion I just think he takes it too far. Insurance CAN work, but it doesn't with the way we're doing it. What they need to do is split it off from employment. Why these two are tied together I have no idea. OK, so in a basic sense, you can't pay the premiums without a job. True. So let's tie home and car loans to employment too! Same logic. No, it doesn't work. If you were to split it out and make people actually cut their own check every month for insurance then prices would fall tremendously. As it stands now you really never see the bill. Premiums are in your pay stub and your employer is probably covering some portion of it which makes the true cost even more ambiguous. That's why all the costs at the hospital are inflated so much. Plus if individuals could choose their own plan instead of defaulting to whatever their employer chooses, you'd see a lot more competition in the market.