Great_Gig

United States Presidential Election 2008

US Election  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for?

• Barack Obama
    • John McCain

My general opinion on tax is that one of the main jobs it serves is to raise the minumum standard of living for the people of a country (which is quite an important benchmark).

Now that doesn't mean you can't let people get rich, but it is harder to achieve on a flat across the board tax rate (at least in my opinion).

And that's where the UK and the US diverge. Our tax system was set up to provide the federal government with revenue to effectively enforce the powers explicitly granted to it by our Constitution. Nothing more. Since then the federal government has grown into a bloated, inefficient, unconstitutional, money-sucking sycophant. With 52% of federal receipts this year being transfer payments, the main role of the government has thus turned into the redistribution of wealth - something that would have our founding fathers rolling in their graves. $1.6 Trillion of the government's $3 Trillion budget is simply money leaving the pocket of one person, and being given to another. Thanks to the politicians we've elected over the past century, the government can and will only get bigger, stronger, hungrier, and more imposing on our personal lives. There is no stopping it. My patriotic duty is simply to slow its growth as much as possible through my votes every two years. And that's what I'll be doing in November.

I have yet to hear a solid argument against a flat tax.

It baffles me how anyone could think it isn't the most fair way of doing things and allows success at any level.

There is no logical argument against a flat tax, or a fair tax system for that matter. But this isn't the logical world, this is politics. Regardless of models showing that flat tax structures actually increase government revenues and create a steadier GDP growth for the country utilizing it, politicians will never have it. Their power is derived solely from the politics of envy. They find their crowd and do their best to play them against the people they are most vulnerable to - black vs white, rich vs poor, etc - and they maintain power by catering to those groups through the redistribution of wealth. The US tax code is set up to take money from the rich and give it to the poor, to the students, to the geriatrics, to the single mothers, etc... . That, and the fact that most politicians are God forsaken lawyers who LOVE to spend other peoples' money as long as it isn't their own (e.g. Charlie "I'm-gunna-raise-your-taxes" Rangel, the guy who helps write the internal revenue code, "forgets" to report rental property income on his tax returns for almost 20 years). :rolleyes: Oops.

Anyway, a flat tax would take the power away from envy politics, thus politicians, and put it into the hands of the American people, something our establishment in Washington, DC can ill afford. There is a group of Republicans in the House who propose a fair tax bill every session. But it's always shot down by a majority of congress, Democrat and Republican.

My general opinion on tax is that one of the main jobs it serves is to raise the minumum standard of living for the people of a country (which is quite an important benchmark).

Now that doesn't mean you can't let people get rich, but it is harder to achieve on a flat across the board tax rate (at least in my opinion).

Now I also believe that widening gaps between the richest and poorest people in a country isn't good for that countries overall health.

Many of us don't feel that the purpose of taxes is to support people. I personally feel that unfortunate people are best served by independent charities, not government handouts. It's the old "teach a man to fish" cycle. I've got nothing against temporary unemployment support, or support of those who truly cannot work, but I otherwise feel that government welfare is a waste. I believe that government should only exist to maintain a degree of order within a society, through national defense and law enforcement via a judiciary system (agencies such as the SEC fall within this realm and I'm fine with this) and to maintain certain interstate infrastructure. I also think that our education system was much better prior to being federalized to the extent it is today (since Carter).

A flat tax makes the burden "fairer". Plus, the people in the lowest income brackets would still be exempt.

Anywho, I haven't been following the election waffle that closely, but I am pretty accurate in assuming that the mentality is that the best smear campaign wins the day?

The whole process baffles me to be honest (the fund raising, the ridiculous length of the whole thing, etc. etc.). I really don't think it is the best way to be choosing a leader.

The majority of the circus is driven by the media. Everyone wants to be the first to break "the news" and so the elections start earlier every cycle. I don't know who keeps buying into it, because everyone I know is sick of it.

Oh and Kash, don't worry, I'm not holding my breath waiting for that apology for calling me racist. Mainly because it's hard to hold my breath while telling my black friends I can't hang out because it would conflict with my klan meeting.

. Mainly because it's hard to hold my breath while telling my black friends I can't hang out because it would conflict with my klan meeting.

Dude, we were waiting for you to show up before burning the giant cross and embarking on our bi-weekly fag drag. Where were you?

You would definitely get variety with Obama. You would get a variety of terrorists attacking America, a variety of lies and a variety of Bull****.

And what exactly scares you about Palin?

No offence, but that's the exact same thing we got with Bush.

What scares me about Palin? Mostly her pushy religious views. I personally believe that Obama actually made a solid choice for running mate that could actually help the nation in the long run. Palin was obviously chosen to nab votes.

Again, I don't like either candidate. I particularly disagree with how Obama plans to handle the current situation in Israel without triggering a genocide.

Edited by Jhester

Dude, we were waiting for you to show up before burning the giant cross and embarking on our bi-weekly fag drag. Where were you?

I was too busy beating the children of migrant workers down at the Home Depot. I'll be at the meeting Monday. :thumbs-up:

It's funny to hear arguments of "inexperience" and "where did they come from?" from someone promoting a ticket with Palin on it... <_<

As for the "something about him just scares me" and lack of sincerity... I've been saying that about jeedub for eight years now. :rolleyes:

Funny man, you are. A lot would say "Well, you're voting for the president not the VP." In this situation I wholeheartedly disagree. My stance on Palin is the same. I do find it quite funny that most pick on Obama for lack of experience when his running mate actually helps fill that gap. The only thing Palin does is help McCain look younger when standing next to him. :lol:

For Clarity.

Yes, my stance on eliminating all insurance is a bit extreme but I firmly believe that it's the only way to reform the system.

In my personal case, my insurance provider dropped me after finding out that both my Mother and Father died of Diabetes complications. This was done even though I've never had a serious illness under their coverage.

So, me and my Doctor work on a cash payment and my regular visits went from $185.00 with insurance to $55.00 cash. My most recent MRI was 1/3 the cash cost of what insurance was billed for the previous MRI. I even have a cash deal with my dentist, eye doctor and shrink. I am in the market for a "catastrophic" health policy but haven't found one that covers all the bases yet.

As for the flat-tax, I'd rather see a national sales tax. No more income or corporate taxes. Just a single rate national sales tax. This way only the consumer would pay taxes. Everyone including the "underground economy" and those in this country illegally would pay taxes on all new goods purchased.

The only problem with a national sales tax is that they are already talking about tax rebates to low income individuals which means we're right back in the redistribution of wealth area.