New Hdd Help

GaiusMaxwell

As some of u know from another post I got the dreaded click of death, stupid hdd died after 8 months (sig is old now, only had the 500g in and it broke, sold the 750g)

Anyway, what I want to know is some suggestions for a good, solid hdd that is a good performer, I don't want a lot of space because I don't store huge amounts of junk, my system is pretty much for gaming

I won't need anything larger than say 300gig and I would get 1 as low as 160ish if it was reliable

Anyway, any suggestions would be handy

Thanx,

Love

Well i was going to recommend the 750gig samsung F1, because it is cheap, fast and big. But if you dont want big then just fire in any 320/250 really, they are all much the same. Some people have good experiences with one, while someone else may detest the same brand. Hitachi's are supposed to be good though.

Be careful with the Samsung drives. The 1TB drives (and others too) are susceptible for being DoA, but not always. Quite a lot of people have been unlucky though. Markiemrboo had ordered 2, one was DoA if I recall correctly. I have the 500GB and mine was okay, but if you are happy with ~300GB, why spend more? ;) I'd get a nice single platter drive instead (cooler and less prone to being a pain in the arse)

Yep. I bought 2 x 1TB F1's and one of them was DOA. However, the original working one and the replacement are absolutely fine. "only" had them about 3 months, mind. You also need to bear in mind that I am probably one of the unluckiest people on the planet when it comes to faulty computer hardware :)

You also need to be careful reading in to the F1 reliability situation I think. There was a problem with the Samsung diagnostic software and these drives, which gave some MCC error or something saying the drive was bad. That was just a bug in the software, and the drive was actually fine.

I never actually used this software, but I assume that both of my drives would have failed. I just used a generic piece of SMART monitoring software (HDD Health v2.1), saw bad sectors on one of the drives as it was formatting, and sent it back for a replacement :)