Hey Noob In Need Of Help

sxracerb25

Hey guys,

I just put my computer together. It has a 780i EVGA motherboard, E8400 Core 2 Duo, 2 GB crucial ballistix ram, 9800 gx2 video card, 900w modxstream ocz psu, and a 500 gb western digital sata hd. Anyways It boots up fine and runs really well but after about 30 minutes or so it'll freeze up just idling and when i try to reset it it just pauses at the Memory Testing phase. If i let it sit there for a long time it'll finally pass through it but it takes a good 10 minutes or so. Then it'll freeze when it tries to load Vista after that. I was looking at CPUID Hardware Monitor and it shows the following

Winbond

Voltages

CPU VCORE 1.15V

+12V 10.43V

AVCC 3.26V

+3.3V 3.25V

VIN1 1.10V

+5V 4.75V

VIN3 1.84V

Temperatures

SYSTIN -64*C (which i'm sure is a non existent sensor or something on my mobo)

CPUTIN 48*C

AUXTIN 41*C

Fans

CPUFANIN0 1163RPM

Intel Core 2 Duo

Temperatures

Core #0 54*C

Core #1 53*C

GeForce 9800gx2

Temperatures

GPU Core 74*C

GeForce 9800gx2

Temperatures

GPU Core 73*C

So with this information would you guys be able to help me out at all? Thank you guys in advance.

Yeah, setting RAM voltages is vital.

You'll also want to run memtest from a bootable cd...here

Run tests #5 and #8 for ten passes...then all tests for a couple of hours. If you make it that far without errors, your memory timings and the like are adequate and you can confidently install an operating system.

Since your mobo has an post display, when your rig hangs/freezes, does the display give a code?

In what slots did you put your RAM. (I think you have 2 sticks?) Try placing them in slot 1 and 3.

And as said above, set your ram settings in the bios manually. Don't leave them on auto.

If you ever need some ram or mobo help, you can pm me, we have almost the same rigs. Gotta love the crucials! Try giving them 2 volts @ 5-5-5-15 and 900. If it doesnt work, try playing with the cpu.

Well i tried changing it to 2 volts 5-5-5-15 and by 900 did you mean mhz or what? I changed the mhz to 900 but it still locked up. And i'm a complete noob with this stuff so playing with the cpu what do you mean? i don't wanna change it and screw something up. I'll try running mem test or something and see how it comes out but any other ideas? Thanks guys

Did you run MemTest? Also try putting your RAM in different slots or using only one stick.

Make sure you tell us what you tried and what the results were so we don't keep suggesting the same things.

Ok sorry guys been busy. I ran memtest and did the two tests you said for 10 passes and let it run for like 24 hours lol. It never had an error. Never froze during that either so could that suggest that the freezing is part of vista? or software related or something? Any ideas please let me know guys. I used it before work and i was using it for about an hour with no problems but then it looks like the clock froze at 3:18 AM so it froze in about an hour and a half. Thanks guys

Did you run MemTest? Also try putting your RAM in different slots or using only one stick.

Make sure you tell us what you tried and what the results were so we don't keep suggesting the same things.

Out of curiosity did you change that vcore voltage? Not saying that you should of, but I OC'd my e8400 up to 4Ghz and never had to change it from stock and my vcore is higher than that.

My e8400 is running at 1.32 most of the time. Though I have stepping and all that other stuff off the bios, so that could be the difference right there. Just a thought.

I'd run a full torture test with Prime95, check the recommended manufacturer voltages for cpu, memory et cetera. Possibly test your PSU if you have access to a voltage tester just to cover all your bases. Prime 95 keeps logs, and if there is an issue it will usually tell you in the logs if it was a voltage issue or something else, though not always.

Also are those cpu temps at idle or at load? Cause that's kind of high for idle temps, you should be able to acheive mid 30c temps idle on air easily. Perhaps reseat/regrease your cpu/HSF as well. They aren't in the dangerous area, but if that is idle, your load temps are going to be pretty high going by that.

Well I was doing the torture test with Prime95 and it froze up but until it froze it was passing all the tests. I dunno if it matters but looking at my CPU specs on Prime95 and CPUZ and stuff shows my L2 cache size as unknown. I don't know if that means anything but just something i've noticed. Those are my idling temps but I'm using stock heatsink too so i'm not sure if that would be the cause of the somewhat high idle temps. While i was stress testing they didn't even jump up though so I'm not sure what to think about that. Any more ideas guys?

Edit: ok i guess i was being stupid when i set up the computer. I put the ram in 1 and 2 instead of 1 and 3. I switched it over and it seems to be running better. Even my CPU temps dropped to like low 50's. Sorry for the stupid post guys. Thanks for the help.

Edit: Edit: Well i thought it fixed it but it still froze again while doing the prime95 torture test so i don't know why it's freezing.

Edited by sxracerb25

I just had to go through the same thing...I was testing an old power supply and I couldn't get it to prime...it would just freeze on a fresh install of XP. Memtested just fine. Never would crash on prime or OCCT, however, if it made it long enough (5+ hours on OCCT or 10+ on prime blend) it would just...hang.

Swapped back to my PCP&C...flawless. 28+ hours prime stable.

Hope you figure this out!