.bin File

stallinggrunt

I run AVG free 8.0 on my game system. This morning it scanned, no issues. I've been off and online most all day. Surfing the net and Playing COD4. I go out to smoke come back, reboot, load COD4. I see an AVG message pop up while COD4 is trying to load. Says a .bin file is missing. Will not update. I uninstalled reinstalled all that stuff, no help, same message. I even tried to update Windows but that did not help either. My IP service offers free McAfee so I tried that and it was not compatible with XP 64. Now what the heck. I know it stands for binary or however that is spelled, but how did it go missing? I don't think anything infected me, maybe AVG has put the free ware to rest ?

AVG has done that to me a few times and quit working (missing files). A reinstall usually fixed it though.

Avast is very good (better than AVG IMO) and should be compatible with x64

I just got that same warning about a missing *.bin file when AVG tried to update on my 32-bit Vista. I'll update this post if/when I get it fixed.

EDIT- @Phil, this is an AVG problem, not COD4. :)

I've been getting that since this morning as well. Maybe AVG messed something up at HQ. Reinstalled and it didn't fix it. Vista64-bit is what I'm using.

Edited by QMax

from AVG's forum:

Currently the update for AVG Free v8 is corrupted... you will have to wait for AVG Technologies to address the issue with the update.

Reporting the issue again by other users here will not do any good util it is resolved.

The updates that your AVG currently have will still provide the protection it is setup to detect. In otherwords, not being able to get this update will not make your AVG Free ineffective and as soon as AVG Tech resolves the issue you will be able to update to the current virus definitions at that time.

So in short... please do not post to report the issue, its already known. Also please be patient until AVG Technologies can address the issue.

Also... for those user that did report the issue... thanks for the info.

Thanks Razor,

I went to the AVG site, guess I did not dig deep enough. I did not see the freeware version there. Thats one of the reasons I was thinking they might be done with freeware, along with the missing .bin file. I could find the AVG 8 freeware other places, but still had the error. I'll just run the Avast untill the AVG is fixed. Also I did not look real hard but I could only find a trial version of Avast. Not a free version.

Thanks again.