Gtx 260 Or Hd4870

Jenova69

Personally I would have the HD4870, I do respect the GTX260 alot but your paying quite a bit more than the HD4870 for what. I know in some places the GTX260 is cheaper, but again with the Nvidia chipsets in the state they are you might as well get the HD4k.

If you want to use multi GPU solution go with the AMD/ATI with a X48 (p45 if your on a very tight budget) reason being is because the HD4870 is faster under circumstances. *this next part needs proving please* so I hear the HD4Ks have better image quality again someone needs to find out, nor do I know if its always been like that. But this is when they are not getting heat stroke :P. and the 2nd reason is because Ps and X mobos work unlike Nvidias chipsets and plus they are way too expensive

Edited by AMG

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its so close either way would not be a bad choice.

Personally I would take the 260 but thats because of folding :lol:

But I am really liking ATI cards now that they are doing so well. I am currently replacing my 4850's for the 4870's but as I stated before you can't go wrong with either one. :)

Its so close either way would not be a bad choice.

Personally I would take the 260 but thats because of folding :lol:

But I am really liking ATI cards now that they are doing so well. I am currently replacing my 4850's for the 4870's but as I stated before you can't go wrong with either one. :)

yeah when are they going to release a folding client for us 4k'ers

Personally I would have the HD4870, I do respect the GTX260 alot but your paying quite a bit more than the HD4870 for what. I know in some places the GTX260 is cheaper, but again with the Nvidia chipsets in the state they are you might as well get the HD4k.

If you want to use multi GPU solution go with the AMD/ATI with a X48 (p45 if your on a very tight budget) reason being is because the HD4870 is faster under circumstances. *this next part needs proving please* so I hear the HD4Ks have better image quality again someone needs to find out, nor do I know if its always been like that. But this is when they are not getting heat stroke :P. and the 2nd reason is because Ps and X mobos work unlike Nvidias chipsets and plus they are way too expensive

whats the problem with nvidia chipsets? 680i was a legend and now iwth my780i p07 bios i can get my fsb to like 1900 without any holes.

this board i have given overkill to the chipsets and they withstood everything.

i agree its more or less a 680i with tri sli. but i liked my 680i

all my AMD parts went into a computer i built for my GF, and not once do i miss them.

and that was a x2 6000+ oc'd

4gb ram

2 hd 2900 pro xfire

and havent missed it yet

Same. That or I hope that guy working on ATI PhysX releases it soon.

another pro versus AMD, physx integration has been there since 88XX.

gddr5 is nice.

nvidia is already getting ready to realease the 55nm gtx's and the new gtx

so the 4870 wont be top dog when the new series comes out and nvidia drops the prices again,

becuase the price to performance ratio ISNT that big.

i mean in the end, when they release their premium best card. and it still gets beat by a 9800 gx2, idk what to even think.

and for having a heat issue fixed like "puck" said, i dont get why i keep hearing about it,

some games they have way better performance, that is if you want to crank up the resolution big enough for a TV and like to use overkill on AA & AF.

try playing your 4870 at a lower res and no aa af. see what it does.

i was just chatting with #2 on orb and his tri sli 280's arent even overclocked.

games are games, but benchmarking programs show the POTENTIAL of what it can do.

so when i see similar FPS in games, then a 1000+ points difference in benchmarking suites, i think that in the end, its not that powerful.

compare it to games now, then in the future the games that use physx nvidia users will rejoice until the 30th driver release fixes it for ATI

my gtx 260 idles @ 50c (9c+ the 88xx with WATERBLOCK), and never breaks 65. and thats with over a 100mhz overclock on memory and core

i used to use ATI cards all the time, and i was dissapointed almost every time so igave up. since ive been using nvidias, i havent had half as many ticked off moments.

and the 4870x2 is better off just have 2 4870s xfire

even at stock fan settings my card has NEVER broke 70.

the only time it did, was when someone was whining about the driver problem, so iturned my fan down to 25% and played COD4, 86c. my 7950 gt OC would easily break 100c

but in the end. its your choice becuase any game nowadays, your not going to notice a difference, any of these cards can blow away 99% of games easily.

if you dont care about OC'ing, heat, SLI/xfire, just get the cheapest one. because right now you wont notice much difference

when are Nvdia lunching their new GPUs ?.... as for thier chipsets most of them( once which I looked at) anyways, yes i m aware some does work without a hitch (XFX) once normally, but they are very expensive

whats the problem with nvidia chipsets? 680i was a legend and now iwth my780i p07 bios i can get my fsb to like 1900 without any holes.

this board i have given overkill to the chipsets and they withstood everything.

i agree its more or less a 680i with tri sli. but i liked my 680i

The problem isn't all Nvidia chipsets. It's just the 6- and 7-series (and probably 5, but I didn't pay any real attention to it). 680i had tons of issues and didn't overclock particularly well compared to Intel's offerings. So that's crap. Now they've added a little glitter and it magically becomes a new product worth $300+? Crap is crap is crap. <_<

Besides, there is no performance difference using an ATI card on an Nvidia mobo or vice versa. Get rid of the mobo and use whatever card you want.

im a major nvidia and intel fanboy so i would get the gtx 260...but im completely biased :P

I still believe nvidia make better quality and better overall graphics cards...ATI makes the budget ones, but now they have bumped up their performance but kept their budget prices...so what to do as a nvidia fan boy?

The way i look at it is i can say..buy a gtx 260 for quite of bit of cash (or a gtx 280 for even more) and probably lay waste (by a small amount) to any ati counterpart...or i could buy a 4850/4870 and get 90% of the performance of either nvidia card but not break bank..saving in some cases hundreds of dollars :S

But i would go the extra mile and grab the gtx 260, especially if you are a folder or are planning to fold

my catalyst control center overclocked 4870 gets like 86XX something marks in the Vantage, that's horrible considering Cirro's stock gtx260 pulls the same numbers and now the prices are about the same. Idk if there is something wrong with my videocard or the benches are trying to tell me something...