Asus P5k

Hi!

You can see my current system in my signature and as you can see I do not have much RAM, so I need to buy new modules.

This 3.42Ghz is stable with my current settings, so I would like to overclock the processor at least at this frequency.

I saw this @ asus.com: http://event.asus.com/mb/p5k/P5K_capture.JPG

They achieved this with GeIL PC2-6400 DDR2-800, GX21GB6400PDC, but I think 1066 or even 1200 Mhz modules would do better. According to this picture the P5K is ready to do 1300Mhz+.

Which brands and types of memory do you recommend?

OCX Reaper 1066/1200? Corsair? Geil?

1300MHz on DDR2 requires more voltage than a sane person would ever give to their RAM :lol: That was probably just a quick benching session!

Any 1066MHz kit will work fine, most brand name 800MHz will overclock to 1066+

Crucial, OCZ, Mushkin, Corsair, etc.

Edited by Zertz

1300MHz on DDR2 requires more voltage than a sane person would ever give to their RAM :lol: That was probably just a quick benching session!

Any 1066MHz kit will work fine, most brand name 800MHz will overclock to 1066+

Crucial, OCZ, Mushkin, Corsair, etc.

Okay, okay, but it is safer to use [email protected] than [email protected], is it?

Do you think I could use 1200Mhz RAM like DDR2 OCZ 1200MHz 2GB KIT Reaper with this P5K+E6750?

Okay, okay, but it is safer to use [email protected] than [email protected], is it?

Every 1066 kit will do 1100 (most likely...) but not every 800 kit will reach that speed

Do you think I could use 1200Mhz RAM like DDR2 OCZ 1200MHz 2GB KIT Reaper with this P5K+E6750?

Yeah, but it has to be quite expensive and the performance advantage over 1066 or even 800 is negligible

Yeah, but it has to be quite expensive and the performance advantage over 1066 or even 800 is negligible

It's not that expensive:

DDR2 OCZ 1200MHz 2GB KIT Reaper = $81

DDR2 OCZ 1066MHz 2048MB KIT ReaperX = $74

The question is that is it worth buying the 1200mhz version?

How should I set my FSB to get a good RAM frequency? What are the options?

I don't know how exactly this FSB:DRAM thing works, I mean there is this FSB strap option, and I can choose between a few frequencies (200/266/333MHz) and the speed of the RAM is depending on that... So with the ratio of 1:1 I can never get the RAM above 2*427 which is my current FSB @ 3416MHz, but now I'm using 4:5, so the RAM frequency is 427/4*5=1067,5Mhz. How can I get 1200+ with 427 FSB?

Sorry for being lame ;)