Installed Vista.ultimate.x64 ...

VenuS

Ok, that's exactly what i wanted to say. For people with 8 GB of ram and more, it might not be the issue with Superfetch.

Some evening, i watched 2 movies and the day after that, i rebooted and started the Performance Monitor. To my surprise it did preloaded

those 2 movies as it might think i wanna see/use them today, AGAIN? ! LOL! Anyway, if my favorite software loads 2-3 sec longer without Superfetch

its totally ok by me with taking in to account the noise...

The HD trashing after boot ... horrible ... my two WD 160 Gb drives in raid with additional Raptor start to sound like a cofee grinder and its last for about minute or two ... nahh .. not for me. So i disabled it, now rig is quite again and didn't reduced performance at all.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The HD trashing after boot ... horrible ... my two WD 160 Gb drives in raid with additional Raptor start to sound like a cofee grinder and its last for about minute or two ... nahh .. not for me. So i disabled it, now rig is quite again and didn't reduced performance at all.

You shouldn't be rebooting that often anyway...but hey...who am I to tell you what to do with your rig? Go ahead and make it slower for no reason. :lol:

Maybe it won't run smoother as yours with 8 GB of ram, but hey, perf. benchies are still the same ! :-)

And right now i'm booting so much cuz i tweaking it. In/Un installing codecs, packs, utilities, enable/disable services, check what works and what not.

Anyways, this is the first install and its going to be trashed and right now i'm not bother to keep it nice and clean until i satisfied.

Comparing to XP with 18 processes and 170 MB ram loaded at boot, in Vista right now i got to a 35 processes and 700 MB ram at boot

with no problems yet. And i didn't separated my page file from the OS partition yet too...

Using vLite i'm already prepared new installation CD wich i reduced from 3.5 GB to 1.7 GB after removing useless stuff!

So the next installation will be much lighter with slipstreamed drivers,disabled services, etc ... Sooner or later i'll tweak it down to my needs...

It lets Superfetch work even better...but I rarely use more than 60% of my RAM or so even when gaming. It does allow you to context-switch crazy fast. Tabbing out of Crysis takes about a half a second. :lol:

I went with 8 GB just because the 2x2 GB kits I bought were only $70. At that price it's impossible not to get a ton.

EDIT: Your sig shows that you have 8 GB now. Jumped the gun a bit huh? :lol:

Yeahh...couldn't resist it ! :D

Right now i had disabled the page file at all, everything runs fine yet. I didn't tweaked the memory in BIOS

and flashed to latest F9f bios. Run Super.Pi 16MB and 32 MB tests and all where good. But i had 2 random freezes.

One happend when i just switched the tabs in browser and the second, if i remember right, was when i maximized Utorrent.

Damn, i'm even not sure if Vista hung because of memory or because of its self.

Will run Memtest overnight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, Memtest run trough the night flawless, no errors. So it seems like Vista was crapping on me with those freezes.

Could disabled page file cause these freezes?

Edited by VenuS

Hello,

Have you installed Vista SP1 yet? (should be the first thing you do)

I have been using Vista HP x64 for 6 months, got lots to say but not just yet as I have run into a problem.

4GB of memory is more than enough.

Useful info

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc162480.aspx

Edited by Nerm

Hello,

Have you installed Vista SP1 yet? (should be the first thing you do)

I have been using Vista HP x64 for 6 months, got lots to say but not just yet as I have run into a problem.

4GB of memory is more than enough.

Useful info

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc162480.aspx

Sharp, what took you so long to show up? Welcome back. I wondered if that was you when I saw 4 posts. :lol:

Anyone else experience random freezes?

Nope, I could fold on Vista Ultimate 64 bit non stop, only restarted when I really had to.

Your freezes are most likely hardware related