Installed Vista.ultimate.x64 ...

VenuS

Well guys, have screwing around with this OS for a couple of hours and allready got pissed off on the basic things

they changed, that were nothing wrong with them in the first place. But at first, i have to mention that all of my favorite ,everyday use programs i still able to use. Even some 32bit progs managed in 32 mode and no bsods, nothing. Only little problem with DirectVobSub wich won't run and load the subs when playing movies, but meantime everything else is good, by now.

Now to the question, why, why oh why they had to change things like, you can't simply adjust font size anymore, you can't uninstall windows useless components but only to disable them, you can't remove file associations only reassign them to different programs or use outside utility to do that.

The start menu, if you wish not to use the classic one, programs doesn't expand as menu anymore and u have to roll up and down to navigate, with small ammount of progs its maybe ok, but i have more than 20 things on the list and its getting annoying.

It took me good ammount of time to set fonts, icons, spaces and their sizes, just to make it look like my Xp that i got used to.

And ofcourse the last and the favorite, now when i watching the movie the OS thinks its idleing and my monitor still goes to sleep mode whatever i do.

Changed the power settings back and forth, set the monitor to sleep after 5 minutes and rig to "never" as in XP and still, i can't watch the movie without moving mouse, why on earth it is ignoring the settings? Dosn't this OS should be more user friendly? For those couple of hours of impression i feel realy stupid infront of my pc, cuz its gotta be kidding me by asking every single time if iam sure to do that and this...hell iam sure !!!

Edited by VenuS

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well guys, have screwing around with this OS for a couple of hours and allready got pissed off on the basic things

they changed, that were nothing wrong with them in the first place. But at first, i have to mention that all of my favorite ,everyday use programs i still able to use. Even some 32bit progs managed in 32 mode and no bsods, nothing. Only little problem with DirectVobSub wich won't run and load the subs when playing movies, but meantime everything else is good, by now.

Now to the question, why, why oh why they had to change things like, you can't simply adjust font size anymore, you can't uninstall windows useless components but only to disable them, you can't remove file associations only reassign them to different programs or use outside utility to do that.

The start menu, if you wish not to use the classic one, programs doesn't expand as menu anymore and u have to roll up and down to navigate, with small ammount of progs its maybe ok, but i have more than 20 things on the list and its getting annoying.

It took me good ammount of time to set fonts, icons, spaces and their sizes, just to make it look like my Xp that i got used to.

And ofcourse the last and the favorite, now when i watching the movie the OS thinks its idleing and my monitor still goes to sleep mode whatever i do.

Changed the power settings back and forth, set the monitor to sleep after 5 minutes and rig to "never" as in XP and still, i can't watch the movie without moving mouse, why on earth it is ignoring the settings? Dosn't this OS should be more user friendly? For those couple of hours of impression i feel realy stupid infront of my pc, cuz its gotta be kidding me by asking every single time if iam sure to do that and this...hell iam sure !!!

The whole sure to do this sure to do that thing can be removed with a setting but i cant remember exactly where it is, maybe someone else can help you there. As for the monitor thing this sounds bad for me as im thinking of getting vista 64 and i will be watching tv and dvds all the time on it :S

Your monitor itself may have settings that put it to standby that aren't controlled by the computer. Check its settings too. The menus on monitors do suck, but check in them for something at least.

Edited by Jhester

I'm running vista business x64 and my screen saver never activates during video playback. And the setting you want to disable the frequent asking you if you want to do stuff is called User account control.

You just need to be patient and learn your new OS. Complaining after barely using it won't help you.

I'm running vista business x64 and my screen saver never activates during video playback. And the setting you want to disable the frequent asking you if you want to do stuff is called User account control.

You just need to be patient and learn your new OS. Complaining after barely using it won't help you.

Same here. The video player he's using must be odd. WinAMP, WMP, and VLC all play movies properly on my rigs.

Yep, they hired people off the street that had never heard of XP to develop Vista. Either that or they took a poll and only those who hated XP got to work on Vista. :lol:

Have you associated every file with notepad yet (or what was it you did sometime ago). I still laugh when I think of it.

Actually it does all start making sense in a relatively short time. I still spend most of my time in XP however. It's just easier with zero problems. But hey, I can do it.

Changed the power settings back and forth, set the monitor to sleep after 5 minutes and rig to "never"

Well there's a problem! If you are having an issue with the monitor going to sleep on you, why are you telling it to sleep after five minutes?

BTW what player are you using? WinAmp doesn't do that for me and I am running Vista Ultimate x64 as well.

Ok guys, there is nothing wrong with my monitor or media player i use. Actualy its Media Player Classic ,latest.

When i boot back to XP, everything is just right and work, i also have set there for monitor to sleep after 5 minutes of idleing.

The thing is, that in XP when i watch movies the OS actualy knows that i'm still using it and not put it to sleep wich in Vista it does.

Synqensmyth: Hey bro, heheh, yeah, the file association, i thinks its just me that even after few hours with new OS i have to deal with this...LOL

Now i use outside utility for Vista to do just that, isn't its stupid? But i definately have the impression that people who wrote Vista didn't knew the XP... thats just funny to think of it...hehhe

I mean, i have to enjoy the new better-faster-easier OS instead of complaining after few hours of use... unfortunately i can't...

Fanatic: Thanks for the link, i definately going to check it out and learn this UAC stuff and all, will see if its got something to do with the power scheme controls.

There plan wasn't to make an OS similar to XP, there plan was a completely different OS of course it's not going to be the same :rolleyes:

Actually they have made it very much like XP in the interface. Technically Vista is "vastly" different under the hood in how it operates, if you can believe the experts. This is beyond my interest. So being as similar to XP in look and feel is something of an achievement I suppose. This is the kind of thing one would say while being benevolent and kind.

I still find it irritating every time I find myself saying "Now where did they put that?" Even moving around in the file manager is cryptic if you ask me. And if I ever find that homeless guy they pulled of the street to design the file manager, I'm going to give him a piece of my mind. This is the kind of thing I would say when I'm feeling less benevolent and kind.