Wrt310n Router Mod

airman

Well, after being thoroughly impressed with the performance of my Linksys WRT310N, I figured I'd try to fix the little things I don't like about it.

I woke up this morning, and after a week of owning it I had to restart it for the first time. I know how routers are, most of this is due to heat. I normally leave 1 or 2 MMOs open and logged in while I sleep. This morning, both were disconnected from the game.

I put DDWRT standard on this thing the day that I got it.

But now, the issue is heat. I didn't have the camera with me while i was doing the mod, so i dont have "as i go" pictures.

Here's the product now (couldn't find a 40mm fan grill anywhere in the house...i know i've got one somewhere)

DSC04176.jpg

i soldered the fan connectors to where the power jack attaches to the PCB. easy enough, no? I figure it will look good once i get the grill on there.

also internally, i had to replace one of the heatsinks with a low-profile one. the fan wouldn't fit. i used the one that had to go on the next hottest, un-heatsinked chip.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what did you use to cut the hole? it looks very clean and circular :D

surely not a rotary tool?

tapping off the input power is probably ok with a 40mm fan that barely uses any power, but you might be creating a higher current draw than the AC adaptor is rated for... but yeah, for 40mm, it's really a non-issue, if it was an 80mm fan you might want to upgrade the adaptor maybe...

as much as blue LED fans are a bit pass

what did you use to cut the hole? it looks very clean and circular :D

surely not a rotary tool?

tapping off the input power is probably ok with a 40mm fan that barely uses any power, but you might be creating a higher current draw than the AC adaptor is rated for... but yeah, for 40mm, it's really a non-issue, if it was an 80mm fan you might want to upgrade the adaptor maybe...

as much as blue LED fans are a bit pass

I had a feeling you might have used a rotary tool, and might have been able to carve out the fan grill... I only recently (like a few weeks ago) got a rotary tool, so I'm still not up on what is possible with all the various attachments...

i will need longer fan screws for it though (those larger ones, with coarse threads and generally flat heads). where might i be able to find some of these? should i check my hardware store?

I generally just use machine screws ("bolts"), washers, and nuts... over here M3 and M4 are common...

I guess over there you have the crazy threads like UNC4-40 and 6-32... hardware store is good... I've found radio controlled model shops (the serious ones) to be a good source of machine screws with various heads, like I needed some counter-sunk, black, hex driven screws and could only find them at a model shop

I generally just use machine screws ("bolts"), washers, and nuts... over here M3 and M4 are common...

I guess over there you have the crazy threads like UNC4-40 and 6-32... hardware store is good... I've found radio controlled model shops (the serious ones) to be a good source of machine screws with various heads, like I needed some counter-sunk, black, hex driven screws and could only find them at a model shop

i'm sure i can get my hands on some m3s and m4s that will work.

i'll check it out when i get the fan grill ordered.

i will say though, the resposiveness of my mmo gaming has definitely tightened up...i experience nearly no lag which i dealt with even on the last router i had.

Edited by airman

OC that sucker! Ahahaha. Looks nice, very clean and well done!

i'm probably sure i could, althought i'm happy with it's performance as is. i've boosted the xmit from the default 28mW to 35mw :P

i plan on an external antenna mod, it seems like it would be pretty easy on this guy.

update: i ordered a fan grill for it. it's just a plain old, chrome fan grille. i rethought it and thought it'd be cool to make it look a little more "stock" looking. that and some arctic silver alumina to use for the internal heatsinks. i hope to pimp this thing out as much as i can :)

by the way, does anyone know if it's possible to run 2 seperate wireless networks from one router using dd-wrt? like one public and one private...i think that'd be cool too

Edited by airman