Sign in to follow this  
jack_of_java

Evga 680i Woes

You know, a person can only have so many problems with a product before they decide to call it quits. That is the case with this TR version of EVGA's 680i motherboard. It is just at a year old now. The very first one I had to RMA because it was DOA. Now this one, after only about a year, is causing harddrive problems left and right. Sometime the sata ports will recognize the harddrives, other times it won't. I've had corrupt file transfers, problems loading windows, you name it. I think it is time to retire it and chalk it up to a learning experience. Anyone else out there that has had as much problems with this motherboard as I have?

Anyone else out there that has had as much problems with this motherboard as I have?

You might be better off asking who hasn't had problems with 680i boards :P

Still though, how do you know the transfer problems are the fault of the board and not the drives or cables? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just playing devil's advocate. Implicating current-gen nVidia boards is too easy :)

It took five EVGA 680i motherboards for me to accept that it was a general design flaw, and not bad luck...

1x AR

4x A1

I just received my replacement 680i A1, and I'm not going to open it, just sell it on ebay...

I used a 680i board from nov '06 to march '08 and never had any problems out of it. Guess I was just lucky B:)

i guess im just lucky....i see these evga 680i trouble threads all over the place but for me the evga 680i is the best board ive ever used...its never crashed on me once (except for pushing oc to high). ive even got the original AR board that first came out with all the issues....

To answer your question Verran: yes, I have changed out all the cables at one time or another. Now I have to move the SATA cables from port to port on the motherboard just to get it to boot sometimes. I've had constant problems with it blue screening on me, locking up, and general instability whether I've had the board OC'd or not. I am with hardnrg on this one, I just think it is a bad design.

To answer your question Verran: yes, I have changed out all the cables at one time or another. Now I have to move the SATA cables from port to port on the motherboard just to get it to boot sometimes. I've had constant problems with it blue screening on me, locking up, and general instability whether I've had the board OC'd or not. I am with hardnrg on this one, I just think it is a bad design.

I have a vote for flat out "bad product". Maybe it is a quality control issue, but i didn't enoy my 680i experience at all.

Replaced it with a DFI P35 board after i decided against going SLI.