Sign in to follow this  
NinjaDude

Need Help On Memory

Hi, I just put 4 GB in my Asus Mobo and the system is showing 3 GB instead of 4 GB. When i run PC wizard it says 4 installed at 4 X 1GB. any help or suggestions?

Is it a 32 bit operating system? 32bit operating systems will only see 3.2 or 3.5gb of memory (can't remember which). You will need a 64 bit operating system for it to take advantage of anything over that.

I'm pretty sure it's 3.2, cause memory numbers can get funky some times. Considering we think of one gigabyte as.. well one, and it's actually 1024mb = a Gb. So if it's seeing 3gb it's actually seeing 3072mb of memory, so that might equate to 3.2Gb.

I'm horribly at math lol.

P.S. If you have a 64bit operating system already I am sorry for the wasted explanation, but give us a bit more info and we may be able to help ya if that's the case.

Edited by s0rd3z

actually that makes more sense to me now. yes i am using Windows XP 32bit. Thx for the help

Edited by NinjaDude

While the above cause and result is correct, the why is a bit off.

The reason 32bit OSes cant fully use the additional ram is the OS can only address 4GB of memory total. I know you're thinking you only have 4GB, but no you have video cards, sound device, etc. that all use ram address space. That address space is deducted from the 4GB and whatever space is left is then used to address the installed system ram. in most cases it's 3.25-3.5GB, but in some cases (such as users with large amounts of video ram/improper BIOS settings) you could even go as low or lower than 2GB of usable ram (2.15GB last time my main rig was running a 32bit OS)

If you're still above 3GB then a 32bit OS is fine, once you get much lower than that the address overhead of a 64bit OS will be outweighed by the extra ram if you really need more than 2GB of ram in the first place (such as gaming with vista/ram intensive apps under XP)

Thank you for that info cchalogamer. I did not know that, I just always assumed it was a pure limitation of the O.S. Technically I guess it is a limitation of the O.S. still, but that clears up as to why some get different numbers when putting 4Gb in a system with a 32bit O.S.

Thank you for that info cchalogamer. I did not know that, I just always assumed it was a pure limitation of the O.S. Technically I guess it is a limitation of the O.S. still, but that clears up as to why some get different numbers when putting 4Gb in a system with a 32bit O.S.

Just FYI, Gb's and GB's aren't the same, bits and Bytes!

8 bit = 1 byte

:)

well now i know why my system only shows 2813mb of RAM with 4gb installed. My vid card is 640mb and im sure theres some other crap that is being addressed also. Moving up to 64-bit so doesnt matter anyway. And just curious what is the current maximum that a 64bit system can go to? I thought it was 32gb of RAM but i wasnt sure. Also what is the theoretical limit? Just curious :)

max addressable RAM for Vista 64-bit:

Home Basic: 8GB

Home Premium: 16GB

Ultimate, Business & Enterprise: 128GB

I think all versions of XP are 16GB, but I'm not sure.

HOly SH$$! Those mobo's bust be as big as a table! Are there even any mobo's that have that many DIMM slots?! Maybe some crazy server boards i dunno.

High-end server boards support up to 256GB :)

Edited by Zertz