Catalyst 8.7 Issues..any Alternatives?

watsonte

Well, for whatever reason, about once every 5-6 hours, I will get a BSOD, stating something regarding the ati video driver. I believe it is atimdag.sys or something similar and a memory dump occurs.

I have checked the stability of every component using Prime and Memtest and everything appears to be stable, but, it seems that the ATI drivers are not quite stable. I have googled the issue and apparently this is nothing new to ATI drivers. So I am looking for alternatives.

Anyone know of anything currently available. Preferably something that you are currently using or have personally tested.

Well, for whatever reason, about once every 5-6 hours, I will get a BSOD, stating something regarding the ati video driver. I believe it is atimdag.sys or something similar and a memory dump occurs.

I have checked the stability of every component using Prime and Memtest and everything appears to be stable, but, it seems that the ATI drivers are not quite stable. I have googled the issue and apparently this is nothing new to ATI drivers. So I am looking for alternatives.

Anyone know of anything currently available. Preferably something that you are currently using or have personally tested.

I am currently running the 8.7 drivers without a problem. Did you try to go back to 8.6? I am using 2 4850's with the 8.7. Did you try 1 card at a time to see if there is a crossfire issue?

Edited by InCrYsIs

Haven't had the opportunity to try it with a single card configuration just yet. However, if it does get to a point of hardware issues versus software I will certainly begin testing. The only problem is that it does not occur on a consistent enough basis. There are days where I am able to play for 4-5 hours without issue, then some days I play for 2 hours and its already happened.

I have not gone back to 8.6 because of issues with artifacts in World of Warcraft and then issues with Age of Conan regarding inventory. These issues have been fixed with 8.7, however, the BSOD one I did not see prior to 8.7, has resulted.

I have yet to contact ATI, however I plan on discussing the issue with them as well.

This is a screen shot from another individual who was having the same issue, found it on Tom's Hardware. Link

Haven't had the opportunity to try it with a single card configuration just yet. However, if it does get to a point of hardware issues versus software I will certainly begin testing. The only problem is that it does not occur on a consistent enough basis. There are days where I am able to play for 4-5 hours without issue, then some days I play for 2 hours and its already happened.

I have not gone back to 8.6 because of issues with artifacts in World of Warcraft and then issues with Age of Conan regarding inventory. These issues have been fixed with 8.7, however, the BSOD one I did not see prior to 8.7, has resulted.

I have yet to contact ATI, however I plan on discussing the issue with them as well.

This is a screen shot from another individual who was having the same issue, found it on Tom's Hardware. Link

Is this on a fresh windows install? Have you tested the power supply? Power supply

Yeah fresh build, fresh install.

I will have to find my DMM to test rails but as far as I know my PSU is running just fine.

Also note that I am running through HDMI/DVI cables through an HDMI switch, I dont know if using a direct DVI connection would change anything but, something I plan on looking into.

And I have not attempted to use Driver Cleaner or equivalent to clean out drivers and reinstall, plan on doing that sometime this evening.

Edited by watsonte

Yeah fresh build, fresh install.

I will have to find my DMM to test rails but as far as I know my PSU is running just fine.

Also note that I am running through HDMI/DVI cables through an HDMI switch, I dont know if using a direct DVI connection would change anything but, something I plan on looking into.

And I have not attempted to use Driver Cleaner or equivalent to clean out drivers and reinstall, plan on doing that sometime this evening.

Looks like someone is having similar issue here. The 4th post down the page.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm...;threadid=97758

Edited by InCrYsIs

Yeah, much of what I have read seems to point to bad drivers. It seems that this issue is nothing new, it's happened in the past with older generation cards and now it shows it's ugly face again.

I well try using a single card, maybe test rails on the PSU, if everything checks out I am going to assume its a driver issue.

Yeah I have seen downloads for the BETA drivers. No reports of how well they work yet though.

Youll never know until you try and it may solve your problems..