Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L Rev. 2

G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 800

Sapphire Radeon HD4850 512MB GDDR3 @ stock \ Catalyst ver 8.7

WD Blue Caviar 320GB WD3200AAKS

Corsair 550VX

LG GH20NS

LG Flatron L1730B

I ran 3DMark Vantage on my max resolution : 1028X1240 with Vista 64 Ultimate.

The score i got is the following:

P5654

GPU: 5298

CPU: 7078

Im satisfied with the CPU score, but im really upset with the GPU score! Especially because a friend of mone gets 6K+ GPU score with his identical Sapphire HD4850!

Is there anything wrong with my card?

Edited by Raphsody

Does your friend have a faster/quad core CPU? I highly doubt anything is wrong with your card...when things go wrong GPUs usually either glitch like crazy or crash constantly.

Nope, he has an Unoverclocked E7200:

That's his PC:

Processor : Intel E7200 2.53Mhz Box

Cpu Fun : Arctic Cooling Alpine 7

MotherBoard : Gigabyte GA-EP43-DS3

Memory : OCZ Reaper 2X1GB 1066Mhz

Graphic Card : Sapphire ATI HD 4850

Hard Drive : Western Digital 320GB 16MB AAKS Sata II

PSU : FSP Basic SI 450W ATX450-PNR 120mm + Satax3 PCI-E P.PFC

and he gets the following score:

3DMark Score P5650

CPU Score 4618

Graphics Score 6104

something here stinks.

can it be because of the PCI-X 2.0 on the P43?

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it...the difference isn't huge and it could come down to motherboard drivers or any other number of things.

Well I am running a single 3870 at the moment on the rig in my sig. and my best score right now is p5549. This score seems kind of low with others wondering why? Processor score is 9325 and gpu score is 4889. Any ideas would be helpfull!

Edited by mistabonz

• 3 weeks later...

The easy answer here is that Vantage is fatally flawed in how it calculates performance scores.

Users with a PhysX enabled GPU will see dramatically higher CPU scores since the Phsyics calculations in those tests are being offloaded to the GPU, which is then not being penalized by decreased performance in those tests.

Also, quad cores essentially double the cpu score, regardless of whether this is indicative of real-world in-game performance gains/scaling.

For example, my X38 based Dell XPS 420 got a ridiculous first-run performance score of 13370 this morning:

Vantage-P13370.jpg

For reference, that's a Q6600 running at 3.33GHz, and getting a ridiculous 34531 CPU score. This is HIGHER than my E8400 at 4GHz - which only scores 30k in the performance test, yet outperforms the Quad by a large margin in games.

Just for interest's sake - here is a run with the exact same settings as the one above, however with Physics being done on the CPU Instead of GPU.

Vantage-P11305.jpg

CPU Physics Enabled:

- CPU: 11898

- GPU: 11120

GPU Physics Enabled:

- CPU: 34531

- GPU: 11102

Interesting to note how little the GPU score decreases when it is also rendering Physics (-0.0016%), however the CPU score decreases dramatically (-65.54%) when it is tasked with the same calculations. Obviously, one is quite a bit better suited to the task!

• 1 month later...

Honestly who cares :rolleyes:

As long as your card is meeting your gaming needs that's all that matters.

On a personal note, my 3dmak06 score has increased and decreased every time i update my GPU Drivers. So thats probably what is happening.

Honestly who cares :rolleyes:

As long as your card is meeting your gaming needs that's all that matters.

On a personal note, my 3dmak06 score has increased and decreased every time i update my GPU Drivers. So thats probably what is happening.

Ok well no one cares, can a mod please delete my post. I will go back to where there welcome...