Overclocking A Qx6850

bg8780

When i OC my qx6850 (ordered it today) I am planning to just pump up the multiplier from 9x to 11x giving me 333x11=3.6GHZ should i expect to have to adjust my voltage for this OC? and also if i want to increase it to 12x too (might do depending what my temps are at 3.6ghz) which would give me 4ghz. How much should i expect to have to increase the voltage.

One more question.....for a TRUE is it better to use two fans (push pull config) or one fan just for intake on the front of the heatsink?

I would do a push-pull config. Also I haven't seen many qx6850's go above 3.8GHZ on air. After that the heat really starts to set in. You also have to remember that the QX6850 has a TDP at about 130w on stock. Plus it is on a 65nm Process which means even more heat. Also does your case have good air flow? If so then I would say get as high as you can. Also if your are going to OC get some 1066 DDR2 ram. I have a feeling that your Qx6850 will only hit 3.8GHz on air. Also when You get both the True and Qx6850 lap them. That way you get the best contact area possible.

Xly15

Yea thats what ill probably have to do. Realistically i dont even need anything past 3.4ghz even that is plenty. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this CPU and if they can give me some pointers on how this cpu overclocks and where my temps are gonna be.

also voltage :)

• 3 weeks later...
When i OC my qx6850 (ordered it today) I am planning to just pump up the multiplier from 9x to 11x giving me 333x11=3.6GHZ should i expect to have to adjust my voltage for this OC? and also if i want to increase it to 12x too (might do depending what my temps are at 3.6ghz) which would give me 4ghz. How much should i expect to have to increase the voltage.

One more question.....for a TRUE is it better to use two fans (push pull config) or one fan just for intake on the front of the heatsink?

Take my opinion. ya first build, would of being stable and safe at 3.2 and no more!!! (was has pretty much same except TT typhoon VX .its not design for 3.4 and beyond.

And as for you question. well i would like add something for everyone to know b4 any of me comments can take place.

ill give ya some simple maths and figures for ya..

FSB Capabilities

q6600 Vs your QX6850.

1066/266 Vs 1333/333

watt?? also will relate how far you can push GHZ with the finest settings on ya rams and stuff..

95Watts V 130 Watts

NOW the math

333.2/266.5 = 1.25% (thats 25% extra)

MB Cache???

8/6 = 1.333% (thats 33% extra)

Power/Temp

130/95 = 1.368% (thats 33% extra)

price?? $200 Vs $1000

200/1000 =. 20 % (OUCH that q6600 was 1/5 price of qx6850)

as fa a performance if only an extra 100% (on stable 24/7 on ya qx6850 you can get up to 3.948 GHz stability with excellent water cooling/proper airflow and ambiet temp. compared to q6600 (stable at 3.2GHz)

(100% + 25% + 33%)*(3.0Ghz-2.4Ghz) = 0.948GHZ

0.948GHZ + 3.0GHZ =3.948GHZ

444*12 = 3996 <----- at if peak with stability (24/7). ram at 1333 ddr3 with a ep45T (ddr3 support) extreme board. using Swiftech MCR-220 Quiet Power Radiator (2x120mm) and and punp that will give out at least 400/l hour flow then ya laughing. a water cooling drink tank is what ya use the radiator to submerge in. ya can even connect ya VGA and ram block on there if ya desperate. but there no need for that. <----- ya see here. IM not asking for a nitro setup but an easy EASY do it yourself at HOME!!!!

try it get the results (i can pump me q6600 to [email protected] 420 X 9. ram, Lat timmings of read/write tweaked. everything disabled (enhancement crap and temp monitoring and etc. everything all manual and of course teak those LAT figures to synchronize with RAM/CPU on read/right trimmings )in BIOS Including Motherboard peripherals/pci enhancement!!!! q6600 will run for 5 mins then it crashes. so at the end of the day i expect me q6600 to last for a least a year so i only keep it as 3.2GHz and ONLY the very rarely ill it heavy when gaming with crysis/cod4/CIV4/Decode/encrept videos.

There ya go project that WILL work. ya just have to have the bucks which i dont have that (rather invest it for another years time on a new board!!)

i run everything but the chip. i spent more me money on the board (cause theres where it all about. not the chip.)

anyhow you question. hmmm

i probably would touch to go more that 3.467GHz. stable 24/7 on any cooling system except for the my setup and minimize mucking around voltages due to the decrease of lifetime of the chips/board and warranty

rolleyes.gif . check out me clip on you tube. I Kill it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn im good, could be better if i could burn money like some people. I am OC king

CASH??

0.8GHz X 156% = 1.248 Ghz

.8/ 1.248 = 64 %

64 % of $800 (price difference between the 2 chips) = 512. So ideally the chip is really only worth 500 bucks when ya look at speed speed/performance/reliability/efficiency/robust . lol

overall ya loss on this cpu is over $512((0.6GHz/0.9GHz) X ($1000-200)by the time ya tweaked everything and lowered its temp as possible. remember ya ram if what ya gonna have to work on lower temp and getting heavy air flow though if ya want ya ram to survive in the long run. take me advice don't buy one!!!! You also have to be lucky that you get a nice chip too. some ppl are luck that they get a dud batch!! And i dare any one to challenge me on this. and i am happy to answer. if ya anything to say. just but in and let this post be the new Olympic scroll.

Ohh yeah that whole 800 Vs 1066 vs 1200. there as good as each other. ya just need to know how to really know how to synchronizing ram/cpu tweaks really mean, and you get close to the same results. its just ya more limited on ram to cpu as far as options go and Vice Versa on the cpu to ram. I say swallow your pride on overclocking and stick Cheap and reliability (its all about how you get there, not the size that counts its how you use it).

Happy OCing. Cheers

Edited by joebrada

WOW! that is the best response ive ever recieved here. Thank you very much! I actually just recieved the chip today and i am currently just running it 3.33ghz. I only pumped up the multiplier one peg. I had it at 3.66 with the multiplier at 12 but it didnt make it through 5 min of occt without a BSOD. My idle temps are currently at 43C (hottest core) That is with my current heatsink, I am going to get a TRUE and that should fix the temps. But as for voltage im pretty sure im at 1.3625. THe voltage is set to auto i havent had enough time to mess with it. Too much voltage? and BTW i did not pay full pop for the chip so im not as dumb as i sound. :lol:

Edited by bg8780