Nvidia To Quit Chipset Business?

One can only hope this is true. And as also stated the board manufacturers that I've talked to that intend to use the nForce 200 chip will do so on a one-off premium board only. So with no chipsets nor components to sell to the majority of users nVidia will have no choice but to open SLI peer-to-peer writes for the masses.

Source

you beat me to it by only a minute...I had the link in hand...so I'll edit my post with my reply from elsewhere...lol

here is more news...from Foxconn

http://channel.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=14745

oh how I do like debate at times....;)

I sorta hope this is true....

nVidia has the WORST problem with stability with chipsets than anyone....

If you follow them all the way from nForce 1 you know what I am talking about...NF2 was a little better...NF3-250 was the most stable chipset to date...

NF4 was a joke and NF5 was as good as NF3 those 2 alone were the best nVidia pushed out....nothing but problems from the 590 chipset on up...600 and 700series chipsets are a joke....

sure you get higher clocks on Nvidia chipsets but they aint as stable as others...who cares for high clocks if you always have to fool with it...they should have woke up long ago when we all complained about their crappy chipsets...we all gave them support by still buying their crap and it aint worked out yet....then they price gouge you for what you do buy....

it's no wonder their vendors are jumping ship with the very high RMA rates of the 600/700 series boards...all because of a shoddy chipset...

this really doesnt surprise me much after all coming from a company who has been putting bad product out the door and rebadge old product with new names and a tad higher clock and bios revision...

of coarse GM has been doing it since the 60s with cars...so why not electronics too...lol

Is it just me or has AMD been graced by a miracle? nVidia is quitting the chipset biz, not to mention the bad releases and high prices of their gtx cards. Factor in the thing where their laptop gpu's are dying/in danger of dying, if AMD can make the best of this position then they can really do well here. Funny how the market shifts...

Is it just me or has AMD been graced by a miracle? nVidia is quitting the chipset biz, not to mention the bad releases and high prices of their gtx cards. Factor in the thing where their laptop gpu's are dying/in danger of dying, if AMD can make the best of this position then they can really do well here. Funny how the market shifts...

Would seem so. Won't that make nvidia lose a large percentage of their market share? If things keep going like this nvidia could die in a few years. If PhysX doesn't sell for them because of Intel and AMD/ATi's Havok I think nvidia might be in for it unless they can lower their prices.

@doc:

I ask this out of genuine curiosity and not to discredit you, but what was wrong with the nf2/3/4 stuff? I had an nf2, an nf3 250, and several nf4s. I always thought people loved nf4. I know I did. I'm certainly not the epitome of "power user", but I wasn't really aware of major beefs at that time. I'll wholeheartedly agree with the 600/700 beefs and the stuff in between never really caught my eye, but I remember the earlier 2/3/4 stuff being highly preferred to VIA options for OCing. What's the other side of the story there?

Well with the NF1 and 2 there were alot of bios corruption from overclocking...as with NF4

at stock settings they seems to be fine but even a MHZ above that could get you into trouble...

I have played with Nvidia chipsets and Via side by side the whole time and never seem to have the stability issues I have with nvidia...

for 100% rock stable rigs I have always either went with VIA or Intel chipsets...

I personally have hose more boards and bios's on NF2/NF4 than any other board out there....didnt matter if it was Asus, Gigabyte, MSI or DFI....they all did it...

For the record the NF3-250 has probably got the best chipset out of all of them...that board (dfi) is still going strong as my server now...only board I havent needed to RMA for any reason...I cannot say that about any other nVidia chipset other than my Tforce 550/570ultra boards and even the later 2 have issues as well but very livable issues

@doc:

I ask this out of genuine curiosity and not to discredit you, but what was wrong with the nf2/3/4 stuff? I had an nf2, an nf3 250, and several nf4s. I always thought people loved nf4. I know I did. I'm certainly not the epitome of "power user", but I wasn't really aware of major beefs at that time. I'll wholeheartedly agree with the 600/700 beefs and the stuff in between never really caught my eye, but I remember the earlier 2/3/4 stuff being highly preferred to VIA options for OCing. What's the other side of the story there?

I've never owned a < NF4 chipset, but I've had friends that have, and have liked the nf2 and especially nf3. I just came in later than them.

I loved NF4. I still do. It's probably what got me liking Nvidia in the first place, but with all of the trouble with the 6xxi and 7xxi motherboards, who can blame me for not wanting to upgrade yet? I had a roommate with a 680i motherboard and a cheap PSU (he wouldn't listen to me about hardware)...I think he still has stability nightmares.

I do sorta see doc's point about the small amount of upgrades between chipsets, but, isn't that how it's been? What about ATI's offerings at that point?

Personally, I think they've gone a bit downhill...ATI chipsets are simply the way to go right now (AMD chipset on Intel processors???)

Fun will be the day when there is a chipset that can handle SLI and crossfire.

As to tinkering to make things stable. Ha. Are you serious? If you call 5 minutes of changing BIOS settings before before saving and booting a large amount of time...I just don't know what to say. For my Opty 144, I found the max of the processor, upped my FSB to 289, put the memory on a divider (ran it a hair under stock on a 2/3 divider), primed, and left it alone for months. On stock voltage. With 4 DIMMS.

Maybe you're referring to hardware degradation. Maybe the 680i's or the like. You can't just generalize like that.

Before the core technology came out, you would choose Intel over AMD? Heh. I don't think I could go that route. Maybe it was just that the Athlon's were the so-called "pentium-killers". Just like the Core2's and quads are still eating AMD's lunch at the moment.

Honestly (IMHO)...I think the processor manufacturers should just do the chipsets themselves...They have the capacity, they know their technology, because, well, they designed it. I don't see any reason why another company should produce a superior chipset to something created in house (ATI chipsets for AMD processors should probably fall into this category...). :P

Maybe I'll start paying more attention when I do my next build, but for hardware, I've taken the highest performance / price ratio that I can get. One requirement of mine is that it must be rock stable. Honestly, any stability problems of mine (DFI NF4) could be fixed with better power supplies. I don't really have any brand allegiances at the moment...just what has worked well for me.

I like Nvidia cards because I can get lifetime warranties, that's changing because some of the ATI cards are starting to have these (Visiontek). Even if I never use it, it's still the company backing their product. It's like PCP&C TurboCool line. The 7 year warranty basically says to me "We know our stuff and don't screw around". AMD or Intel used to be an easy choice before Core, now it's switched...I'll simply go with whatever one will get me great performance with not a lot of money.

Beyond that, I just let competition sort everything out. I will never buy something just as it comes out. It's always too expensive, and usually needs some bugs worked out first.

Well with the NF1 and 2 there were alot of bios corruption from overclocking...as with NF4

at stock settings they seems to be fine but even a MHZ above that could get you into trouble...

I have played with Nvidia chipsets and Via side by side the whole time and never seem to have the stability issues I have with nvidia...

for 100% rock stable rigs I have always either went with VIA or Intel chipsets...

I personally have hose more boards and bios's on NF2/NF4 than any other board out there....didnt matter if it was Asus, Gigabyte, MSI or DFI....they all did it...

For the record the NF3-250 has probably got the best chipset out of all of them...that board (dfi) is still going strong as my server now...only board I havent needed to RMA for any reason...I cannot say that about any other nVidia chipset other than my Tforce 550/570ultra boards and even the later 2 have issues as well but very livable issues

I have the exact opposite experience. I've trashed quite a few VIA boards from overclocking related failures and exactly zero nForce boards except for my Chaintech board that bit the dust after 3 years of heavy overclocking. The NF2/NF4 boards all overclocked far better than the VIA chipsets as well.

My old DFI nForce 2 board is still cranking along today at a near 50% overclock on the FSB (298 MHz).

Nf3-250 was an amazing chipset, and the nf2 was great too(nf7-s anysone?). Their new stuff is trash though!!!

I wouldn't miss them in the chipset market at all, but for all our sake I hope they become more competative in the graphics segment. Look what the recent competition from ati has given us-record price:performance graphics cards, with nvidia frantically lowering their prices to maintain some competition.. Now mainstream users with 200 bucks or less can get the kind of performance we used to pay 500 dollars a card for.

If true good riddance to those chipsets though!!