2. 2x 4870X2 (when they're released)

3. 2+ SSD's in RAID0

4. Nehalem + X58 board when it's released this fall/winter

Oh and... sell the PhysX card

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait for Nehalem - I cannot see any point in updating your current machine, when a new architecture is just around the corner? If you change your board now, you will have to change it again for Nehalem at your next upgrade?

I'd say there's really no reason to upgrade anything major, except your choice of cooling to a TR TRUE 120 or maybe delve into watercooling.

You could upgrade to a 9800GTX, maybe even two, but if you can find another 8800GTX for SLI, go with that. No reason to get rid of a perfectly able card.

so whats so good about this Nehalem

Many things are changing with Nehalem, more powerful as all Intel progressions are - 20~30% prediction, more power efficent, which is one of Intel's new drives, FSB replaced with Intel QuickPath Interconnect, Quickpath will run at up to 6.4Gt/s which translates to a bandwidth of 25GB/s!, And this is interesting - Dynamic Scalability and Dynamic Power Management. The chip can apparently overclock itself if temps and power available etc are within limits and the CPU 'is happy' (Intel marketing expression!). It can adjust the clock frequency itself based on the power supply it sees? I don't have full information on this and lost all my notes from an Intel presentation recently (left them in the bar!). It's also supposed to be able to adjust the cores depending on the application, so if only 1 core is needed it powers down the others and diverts all the cache to the live core, thus saving power but boosting performance for the single core? Not sure how accurate this information is however, but I have read other stuff that confirms these features. We won't know for sure until it's released and the reviews start to appear.

So a few changes are on the way and as it's a new architecture, it will require a new motherboard.

Info here:

What you need to know about Intel's Nehalem CPU This is a good article.

Nehalem News

Intel Demo