Muskin Ddr 4000 + Dfi Sli-dr Problems With 2gb

Hi All,

I just bought this ram:

Muskin XP4000 DDR Redline

There's 2 1GB sticks.

I'm using a DFI Sli-DR motherboard.

Problem is I cannot get the system to post with BOTH sticks in the motherboard. It posts fine when either one is on its own.

I've changed from the 406 BIOS to the 704-2BTA Bios but still no luck. They're both in the orange slots. Thing is if I have 1 of these sticks and one of my old Hynix sticks in to make 2GB, it's fine, but when both are in together, the computer led flashes and I can't get to the BIOS.

Any ideas?

UPDATE:

Put the sticks into DIMM 1 + 2 instead of 2 + 4 and the system now posts.

Can't use Command Per Clock though. And although it automatically limits the speed to DDR333, I just set it to 1:1 and it's back at DDR 400.

Is this normal to have to put these kind of sticks in DIMM 1 + 2?

Not sure what you're trying to do...but...

Running mixed memory with the DFI lanparty NF4's is not going to turn out well. Running two RAM modules with one in yellow and one in orange is not standard practice. I don't remember it being a requirement for any memory. There were plenty of people running that memory on the 'street, so, I'm sure you'll be ok.

Put one DIMM in, go into BIOS, set the DRAM voltage to be the maximum recommended value for the Redlines.

Power off, put the other DIMM in the same colored slot (same color = dual channel, you want this).

If it doesn't boot, try the other one. I have had success some times with the yellow over orange slots or vice versa. I always set the divider to 1:1 if I'm at stock...and make sure CPC is set to enable (or auto...can't remember the setting ATM).

I haven't needed to use any of Tony's BIOSes, have you had any success with standard BIOSes?

If it still doesn't work...do a full CMOS clear (the procedure is here somewhere...ExRoadie has a very explicit method). Place one DIMM in the top orange slot, memtest tests #5 & #8 for 10 passes, then switch DIMMs and repeat. If you get errors...it's RMA time...if not, I don't know what to tell you.

What power supply are you running?

Not sure what you're trying to do...but...

Running mixed memory with the DFI lanparty NF4's is not going to turn out well. Running two RAM modules with one in yellow and one in orange is not standard practice. I don't remember it being a requirement for any memory. There were plenty of people running that memory on the 'street, so, I'm sure you'll be ok.

Put one DIMM in, go into BIOS, set the DRAM voltage to be the maximum recommended value for the Redlines.

Power off, put the other DIMM in the same colored slot (same color = dual channel, you want this).

If it doesn't boot, try the other one. I have had success some times with the yellow over orange slots or vice versa. I always set the divider to 1:1 if I'm at stock...and make sure CPC is set to enable (or auto...can't remember the setting ATM).

I haven't needed to use any of Tony's BIOSes, have you had any success with standard BIOSes?

If it still doesn't work...do a full CMOS clear (the procedure is here somewhere...ExRoadie has a very explicit method). Place one DIMM in the top orange slot, memtest tests #5 & #8 for 10 passes, then switch DIMMs and repeat. If you get errors...it's RMA time...if not, I don't know what to tell you.

What power supply are you running?

Thanks for the reply.

Using a Enermax 600w SLi PSU.

I just can't get them to post when both are in the orange slots, when one's in 1 orange and the other in yellow, they're fine.

I'll look for the full CMOS clear and go through what you've suggested.

Currently I got them up to 240 when in those opposite coloured slots. Will report back later with what you suggested.

Also note I'm not TRYING to run different types of RAM. I want to run the Mushkin, with 1 stick in DIMM 2 and 1 in DIMM 4 but the system refuses to Post when they're both in these slots.

YET, IF I replace DIMM 2 with my old Hynix, it works fine. Something seems wrong with running the Mushkin as a pair in dual channel mode. They're fine if they're in DIMM 1 and DIMM2, is this losing performance?

I have an SLI-DR, but off-hand I don't remember the slot numbering scheme. Are you saying it works if you run the two Mushkin sticks in different colored slots? Like right next to each other instead of with a space in between?

Also, the only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is vDimm. Redlines usually run higher voltage. Have you made sure that they are getting the rated voltage that they need in the BIOS?

I have an SLI-DR, but off-hand I don't remember the slot numbering scheme. Are you saying it works if you run the two Mushkin sticks in different colored slots? Like right next to each other instead of with a space in between?

Yes. If I have them in slots NEXT to each other they run fine (but I guess they're in single channel mode). If I put them in slots NOT next to each the system turns on but the Power/HDD leds constantly flash, and the error leds on the DFI show 3 lights (off the top of my head that's a RAM problem).

Thing is they run fine when next to each other, is this ok?

Yet when I use the Hynix in same colour (not next to each other slots), they run fine. If I mix a hynix and a redline, again it runs fine. It's if I have two redline in same colour slots I get the problem. Have reset the CMOS and tried a few different BIOS's now.

Also, the only thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is vDimm. Redlines usually run higher voltage. Have you made sure that they are getting the rated voltage that they need in the BIOS?

I'll try and up the voltage in the BIOS then move the sticks back to slots not next to each other.

Thanks for all replies, this is really bugging me. Good news is they've allowed me to get my CPU (X2 4200) up to 2.8ghz (using 180 divider). Problem is with putting them in the correct slots AND I can't get them over 241 yet.

Edited by CrimsonCleaver

Here's another member who has been having a difficult time getting his memory to run in dual channel:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=80795

Not sure if he's fixed it or not...

I'm looking for the "proper" CMOS clear procedure. I used to have it in my sig...but that was a couple years ago.

Got it! Whoof...that was hard.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...st&p=931531

Here's another member who has been having a difficult time getting his memory to run in dual channel:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=80795

Not sure if he's fixed it or not...

I'm looking for the "proper" CMOS clear procedure. I used to have it in my sig...but that was a couple years ago.

Got it! Whoof...that was hard.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...st&p=931531

SOLVED:

Seems dust got into the slot as I put back my Hynix and they didn't work so I knew something was up.

Hoovered out the slots and reseated the stick and it now all works.

Thanks for everyone's time.

Hello CrimsonCleaver I was wondering if you would kindly share your bios settings, dram config and stuff. I've been having a similar problem with dual channel, but my hoover would not fix. I noticed your setup is similar to mine and I think you might be able to help me with a quick glance at your bios settings. Thanks.

I started a thread here http://csd.dficlub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7572 which describes my problem.