cspizz

Fan Questions

A couple of dumb case fan questions:

1- Beside Speed Fan, what software can control fans? I have several "smart" fans, but Speed Fan doesn't recognize any of them (weird, because it's recognized everything on all my other systems and allowed me to control their RPMs). I'd like to have in-OS control of them but can't find anything other software that offers anything beyond monitoring/reporting. (I have an Abit IP35 Pro MB that comes with Abit's μGuru that I thought allowed me to do this, but it only allows for monitoring and automatic software control--there's an option for it to decide the best fan speeds and then adjust them accordingly, but there's no manual adjustment option.)

2- I have an Antec 900 case with two 120mm front intake fans w/o filter. This case pulls in a lot of dust, so I want to install filters. I tried to, but the front fans are mounted on a HDD cage, and--eve if I had screws long enough to screw them down--the fans would protrude beyond the front plain of the box. So, here's my question: are flat fan filters available or does anyone have any advice for me?

Tangent:

Who came up with the name "dongle"? And were "wangle" or "dingus" considered? (I know that's sophomoric, but I've been dying to get that off my chest. Thanks for indulging me.)

Oh, also: I run Vista x64 with an Asus GeForce 8400GS graphics card, and I constantly get a screen flicker followed by a reduction of icon size. Is my card not good enough for Vista or is something else going on?

Edited by cspizz

Oh, also: I run Vista x64 with an Asus GeForce 8400GS graphics card, and I constantly get a screen flicker followed by a reduction of icon size. Is my card not good enough for Vista or is something else going on?

Update your drivers. :)

I have the Antec 900 as well and I'm constantly blowing dust out of it. Quite honestly, I think filters would inhibit the airflow and you'd end up cleaning them out just as often as you would the case if you didn't have them.

Who came up with the name "dongle"? And were "wangle" or "dingus" considered? (I know that's sophomoric, but I've been dying to get that off my chest. Thanks for indulging me.)

You're going to have to ask some retired Ma Bell technicians instead of PC enthusiasts about that one. The word Dongle has been around since at least the 1970s and probably a good bit longer. Old telco guys used that word for just about anything with a BNC connector.

I'll answer your question here, to keep things from getting too messy...

Oops. :blush: Sorry about that. I just didn't get much response in the other category, and figured maybe I hadn't posted in the right spot. I thought I hadn't posted to the right audience. Won't happen again.

Do you have some reason to not get hardware fan controllers?

Not really. I'm lazy, and it just seems like an unnecessary install if it can be done by software.

Any idea why Speed Fan doesn't see my fans?

What kind of fans? Some fans have additional wires for readouts or control (like a typical stock CPU fan that comes with a cooler, or a chipset fan). These types usually include a wire for PWM (pulse width modulation) to control the 'mean' voltage that the fan might see.

Personally, I think it's simpler to have variable voltage from a fan controller...but then again, the more programs I can avoid installing, the better.

I mean, how often do you change your fan speeds? I turn mine down when I'm idling...and up (usually to full voltage) when gaming or folding. That's about the only time I touch it.

You need to go to http://www.almico.com/sfhandleconfig.php and register/login and find a configuration for your motherboard.

I agree with the others though... go get a Sunbeam Rheobus or a Vantec Nexusand don't run any fans off your motherboard... you shouldn't run any fans off your motherboard, except maybe your CPU fan with any "auto" fan speed features turned off.

You could just 7 volt mod your fans if you're trying to get a noise reduction and won't be changing fan speeds much...

I've since installed a Kaze Master fan controller, but my fans are 2-pin molex that can't be controlled. Now I've got to plunk down more cash to get 'controllable' fans. Thanks for the tips.

I've since installed a Kaze Master fan controller, but my fans are 2-pin molex that can't be controlled. Now I've got to plunk down more cash to get 'controllable' fans. Thanks for the tips.

Some fan controllers have the required molex connectors...

You can also buy the wires...or change the connector type yourself.

:thumbs-up: