How To Successfully Build A Computer

Crazy_Nate

• 2 weeks later...

In the process of building my cpu, following this guide to the letter. My gigabyte ep45-ud3p on auto had the voltage and timings for my ocz reapers (8500) at 1.8 and 5-5-5-15. The timings were right, but the voltage on the actual ram sticker (and on websites) was 2.2, so I have boosted it up. I also changed the timings to 5-5-5-15, which is the same, but it is not on auto. I'm mainly posting this because of the EXTREME amount of time test #8 takes! It's a bit much to ask someone who just spent weeks researching and a lot of money to spend hours testing their new system before they ever get any fun out of it. My roomate keeps poking his head in and saying "your STILL building that thing?" Anyway, I'm trying to be patient and wait out the tests, that way I know everything is up and running correctly. It also gives me something to compare to when I start my OCing. Nice guide B:)

• 4 months later...

Great tutorial. I have a question, would Isopropyl Alcohol 70% work well to clean the processor from any residue of a previous thermal compound without damaging it? or do I HAVE to use 90%?

Edited by ertxz18

I'm mainly posting this because of the EXTREME amount of time test #8 takes!

it depends on your CPU, memtest #8 doesn't have to take very long. My Q9550 whips out test 8 in about 20-30 minutes testing 4GB of RAM.

• 5 months later...

Hey could you consider adding a couple more points to the OP? I often observe that these basic points are overlooked by the n00bs:

Basic specs to look at:

1. Processor cache (L1, L2, L3), hyperthreading, clock

2. Memory latency and clock

3. HDD RPM and cache/buffer

An advice to Google, browse through a couple of reviews before posting questions

And plz highlight the bullets you already have!!

BTW great guide, helped me with my first own build a couple of months back!!

Did anyone mention this already?

DSCF0106.jpg

Touching the CPU, leaving oil. You can even see the fingerprint in the next photo. Pretty sure that was a no-no...

Edited by pezcore

Did anyone mention this already?

DSCF0106.jpg

Touching the CPU, leaving oil. You can even see the fingerprint in the next photo. Pretty sure that was a no-no...

Haha...I'm quite positive that it doesn't matter. My CPU ran quite cool for over a year before I replaced the heatsink :thumbs-up:

If you guys can survive for a while...I'll do a rather large update (probably when I go i7). Waiting on getting a job before that, though :)

• 1 month later...

pls kindly take a look at my computer build..

processor: i7 920

mobo: asus rampage 2 gene

vcard: evga gtx 260

ram: OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel - 7342

powersupply: ocz stealth x stream 600w

chassis:thermaltake element g

hdd: seagate 500 gb sata

cd player: any dvd-r

monitor: 19'' samsung widescreen

cpu temp monitoring: thermaltake hardcano 6 7 II temp monitoring

avr: any 1000w

can someone pls tell me if all these parts are compatible with each other, especially with my psu.. pls reply! thanks a lot :)

• 3 weeks later...