How To Successfully Build A Computer

Crazy_Nate

• 2 months later...

great guide..

I remember using the static cling bands way back when building computers with my step dad (We had a Tandy). I'm definitely going to be using your guide and testing methods for my components. I agree with the better to know each piece works one by one. Then throw it all together and have it not work.

Thanks for the awesome guide.

BenMicro

Indeed this is a great guide. I have been reading reviews and guides all over the place and this is the only I have found that recommends the downloading of the the tests before hand and says to bench before the complete install.

Thanks Nate

Those are just a personal recommendation...you can build any way you'd like. I just like knowing that my components are working properly before I spend the additional time to put everything in the case and do all the wire management. :)

Keep bumping this and I'll keep remembering to work on the updated guide :lol:

• 1 month later...

Hi all!

I am new to the forum and I am thinking of building a system (mostly general computing and some video editing no gaming). I want to overclock and want to purchase my components right the first time. I am wanting my total cost to be well under $1500 (I already have my monitor) but would like to get a processor that claims 3.2 to 3.4 without overclocking. It sounds like my first decision is a good power supply and cooling system inside a well ported case?

suggestions for power and case?

Thanks,

Randy

What is the purpose of clearing the cmos on a new build, and is it necessary.

No challenge, I'm just new and want to learn.

Thanks, Phil

It's not absolutely necessary, but if you're using a used motherboard, or the settings aren't default...it'll put them back to where they should be. :thumbsup:

My new motherboard has a button on the rear I/O panel. It wouldn't boot when I played with the memory settings too much...clearing the CMOS fixed that. ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'll be using this guide in hopefully a couple of days. :D Maybe more like a week as shipping takes time.

I don't know that I'll be posting a build log, though. My camera's trashed (and has lousy picture quality anyway).

EDIT: The guide works! I have a nice PC sitting next to me right now. :)

Edited by Miek

• 3 months later...
Guest ajmatson

Is there any risk of ESD if I put a mobo on a varnished wooden desk? just thinking it'd reduce the risk of snapping the mobo when inserting the RAM.

You wont snap the board when installing the RAM if you do it correctly. No matter what you should have an anti static mat when working on a desk though or really any surface. There is risk of ESD which will kill the components over time if exposed. ESD can be minor for a human where you might not even feel it but the components will. I know it sounds funny but using an ESD strap can save you a lot of headaches later :)