How To Successfully Build A Computer

Crazy_Nate

I was thinking after another poster mentioned airflow, and I see this far to often with comps built by amateurs that come into the shop. People think they need all the fans pushing INSIDE the case to cool it, and don't really consider using a fan for exhaust even if it's just one rear fan or something.

The mention of dust and all that made me think of this also, cause the comps I see that have all fans blowing in are the dirtiest ones out there heh. Always good to have a top or rear fan set to suck air OUT of the case. As long as it's not a side case fan that is right over the cpu, that is usually not good and will create a little vacuum (don't know if that's the right explanation for it) above the cpu so there isn't as much air to be pulled down to the cpu. But that is only a factor if you have a top sitting fan on your cpu HS, if it's a side one like on the TRUE or other aftermarket HSF's it works pretty well having the side panel as an exhaust.

I was thinking after another poster mentioned airflow, and I see this far to often with comps built by amateurs that come into the shop. People think they need all the fans pushing INSIDE the case to cool it, and don't really consider using a fan for exhaust even if it's just one rear fan or something.

The mention of dust and all that made me think of this also, cause the comps I see that have all fans blowing in are the dirtiest ones out there heh. Always good to have a top or rear fan set to suck air OUT of the case. As long as it's not a side case fan that is right over the cpu, that is usually not good and will create a little vacuum (don't know if that's the right explanation for it) above the cpu so there isn't as much air to be pulled down to the cpu. But that is only a factor if you have a top sitting fan on your cpu HS, if it's a side one like on the TRUE or other aftermarket HSF's it works pretty well having the side panel as an exhaust.

Mechanical engineering technical mumbo jumbo added.

:thumbs-up:

Good job.

# Add a pushbutton to the appropriate motherboard connection for the "on" switch. Some motherboards have buttons already. Consult manual as needed. This would also be a good time to figure out which keyboard button gets you into your BIOS and which brings up the boot menu.

Are you making this "push button" or buying at Radio Shack or what? I assume it is out of the case.

I just short the pins but a button would be nice. :lol:

Edited by Syngensmyth

Ah, it should just be any normally open momentary switch (I guess that means you could just short those pins temporarily, and your computer would turn on).

I like the DFI boards that have the ones onboard, but, if that isn't an option, you can always take the one out of the case that you're going to use (my TT case has it as part of a 5 1/4" bay, so I can just slide everything out.

Here's just about everything you need to know about switches: Toggle and Push-Button Switches

:thumbs-up:

Syngensmyth...check out step 14! :)

not really a good guide for beginners but for someone that has built maybe one computer in the past and kind of needs a refresh (im referring to the steps where you start putting it all together).

The rest is good, like downloading some utilities and such.

If you want to make this a good guide for "beginners" include pics

Other then that good job :thumbs-up:

not really a good guide for beginners but for someone that has built maybe one computer in the past and kind of needs a refresh (im referring to the steps where you start putting it all together).

The rest is good, like downloading some utilities and such.

If you want to make this a good guide for "beginners" include pics

Other then that good job :thumbs-up:

Where do you think I need to add more stuff? Descriptions?

I will add pictures...soon. I have a digital camera on the way.

And...I might find myself rebuilding my computer. I think we had a voltage spike last night...and again this morning before the power went off. I BSOD'd and now I get the "3 LEDs". I will be slightly irate if I just got my CPU fried by the UMass power system. :angry2:

EDIT: Just lost power...again. <_<

Where do you think I need to add more stuff? Descriptions?

I will add pictures...soon. I have a digital camera on the way.

And...I might find myself rebuilding my computer. I think we had a voltage spike last night...and again this morning before the power went off. I BSOD'd and now I get the "3 LEDs". I will be slightly irate if I just got my CPU fried by the UMass power system. :angry2:

EDIT: Just lost power...again. <_<

Not really saying to add more text but just wondering about pictures. Guides should probably include pictures just to give the reader a "general" idea on what you are talking about. But you said you will add pictures so that's fine. It looking good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...