Is The 4870 Worth It?

My dad is buying parts for a new computer for me. He just bought a 4850 and asked if I thought he should pay the extra $100 for the 4870. Is there that big of a difference? I told him I didn't think it was worth it, but I'm not sure. I'm looking at overclocking it and just keeping the 4850. What shoul I do?

My dad is buying parts for a new computer for me. He just bought a 4850 and asked if I thought he should pay the extra $100 for the 4870. Is there that big of a difference? I told him I didn't think it was worth it, but I'm not sure. I'm looking at overclocking it and just keeping the 4850. What shoul I do?

It all depends on what you plan on doing with the PC, what games are you planning on playing, at what resolution, how much eye candy do you like....

Really, it is just an extra $100, I would say yes go for it if your playing at a resolution like 1680x1050, however, without knowing what you plan on playing and at what resolution no one can really recommend it over the 4850.

Guest ajmatson

Both are great cards but there is a difference. If you are a hardcore gamer I would recommend the HD 4870 over the HD 4850 but for casual gaming the HD 4850 would do fine. Also you could consider getting a second HD 4850 and CrossFire them if your motherboard supports it.

Edit: Watsonte beat me to the button. ;)

Well, right now I play mainly CoD4 on my laptop (Dell XPS M1730) at all max settings and the FPS is still near 60. I have Crysis, but only play that ocassioanly. I have a 4 year old Dell Ultrasharp monitor and I believe that only suppors 1280x1024. I hope to get a new monitor at some point, but it won't be right away.

I would say if you don't plan on trying out Crossfire, the 4870 would be your best bet if the extra $100 isn't a budget buster. Really at 1280x1024 you may not need the extra speed but if you do invest in a larger monitor in the future you wont have to worry about toning things down a bit.

A 4850 will do just fine at 1680x1050. The person I know who has one can play every game he has a max resolution and max settings. Sure, the 4870 would be nice, but you don't NEED it.

A 4850 will do just fine at 1680x1050. The person I know who has one can play every game he has a max resolution and max settings. Sure, the 4870 would be nice, but you don't NEED it.
Technically we don't need any discrete graphics cards... :lol: