I'd go for the Thermalright HR-03GT if I had the $$$ for it.

Get it from Petra's Tech.

that doesn't look like it has a fan though, plus it's all aluminum (and if I were to ever want passive cooling I'd want a copper one).

and how about the copper ramsinks instead of the included cheapo ramsinks

Edited by IVIYTH0S

that doesn't look like it has a fan though, plus it's all aluminum (and if I were to ever want passive cooling I'd want a copper one).

and how about the copper ramsinks instead of the included cheapo ramsinks

Well, here's some reviews I've read:

Hardware Canucks

PC Perspective

AnandTech

This one really seals the deal for me.

[H] Enthusiast

I like that you can install it above or below the gfx card and the the fan can suck air off or blow into the fins. Depending on your case's airflow, installation can be versatile.

The Arctic Cooling TWIN TURBO cooler is freaking massive. The specs and price are worth looking into:

You can read up on it HERE

news_pr_acct-turbo.jpg

When I get my 4870, I will surely be upgrading the cooling to this!!!

I just checked the DuOrbs, looks pretty cool but I have two questions

It only mentions compatibility with the 4850 not the 4870 so would it still work (I'm guess yes since they are the same chip) but maybe not.

Didn't used to mention even 4850 support. It will support both 4850 and 70 since the design is the same for the HSF between the 4800 series and 3800 series so no worries.

Well, here's some reviews I've read:

Hardware Canucks

PC Perspective

AnandTech

This one really seals the deal for me.

[H] Enthusiast

I like that you can install it above or below the gfx card and the the fan can suck air off or blow into the fins. Depending on your case's airflow, installation can be versatile.

OMG! I'd say you got another person hooked, I mean one because I see you can put a fan on it (thus letting me put the best fan on the market on it) and also that it beats EVERYTHING!

The only problem I may see is whether it may weigh too much, I'm afraid with cooler that massive it might put alot of stress on the pci connector. I'm sure I am just being paranoid and that they thought it out. Another thing I was wondering is with the added fan wouldn't it start getting pretty close to the bottom of my case and have less air to suck up, or less room to move the hot air?

now that I see it beat the VF-1000, it's down to the Arctic Cooling's TWIN TURBO or the GT. I wish there was a review on both coolers (against one another)

Edited by IVIYTH0S

OMG! I'd say you got another person hooked, I mean one because I see you can put a fan on it (thus letting me put the best fan on the market on it) and also that it beats EVERYTHING!

The only problem I may see is whether it may weigh too much, I'm afraid with cooler that massive it might put alot of stress on the pci connector. I'm sure I am just being paranoid and that they thought it out. Another thing I was wondering is with the added fan wouldn't it start getting pretty close to the bottom of my case and have less air to suck up, or less room to move the hot air?

now that I see it beat the VF-1000, it's down to the Arctic Cooling's TWIN TURBO or the GT. I wish there was a review on both coolers (against one another)

Yup, it's a beast. From what I've read it's aluminum coated copper??? If that's the case I don't quite understand the logic but I'm sure there's a thermodynamic reason.

Their Ultra-120 CPU coolers win awards all the freakin time! Just look at the 120 Extreme's details page.

Perhaps if you've got the room in your case, orient the heatsink above (since heat rises) the gfx chip and slap on a fan (also blowing hot air up). I would try that with the hope that any fans near the CPU will help exhaust the heat, and not overheat my CPU.

The 4850/4870 series do run pretty hot....

revamping the fan profile will help but the fans on those cards are pretty loud above 50%....some claim to need 75% to keep thew temps inline...even then they hit 80c or higher after an hour or so of gaming...

they will hit over 100c on the stock fan profile...

I currently have two 4870s in CF, I have been using them for nearly a month now and have yet to see them hit over 85C, gaming for up to 8 hours playing games like Supreme Commander, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan and Company of Heroes all using the Stock Profile.

So, to say that "they will hit over 100c on the stock fan profile..." isn't necessarily accurate. While they may hit temperatures close to or in fact right at 100C it certainly is not a guarantee or certainty.

While you are correct in stating that increasing the fan speed in a profile is a solution, the stock fans are more than capable of cooling the 4870s, I do not have personal experience with the 4850 so I will not comment on that, but, with a slight increase in fan speed, about 10-15% increase temps will drop approximately 20-25C. Of course factors like the type of case, the ambient temperature of the room, will all change that.

Really, while aftermarket cooling is a good idea, I don't think it is necessary.

Edited by watsonte

I'm still thinking of getting 2 DuOrb's for my 4870's. From the looks of it there appears to be no way for me to use 2 Thermalright HR-03GT with fans on them. Would work on the lower most video card but there isn't enough space between both the pci-e slots and I can't stick it up either because my Northbridge HSF is in the way.

Yup, it's a beast. From what I've read it's aluminum coated copper??? If that's the case I don't quite understand the logic but I'm sure there's a thermodynamic reason.

Their Ultra-120 CPU coolers win awards all the freakin time! Just look at the 120 Extreme's details page.

Perhaps if you've got the room in your case, orient the heatsink above (since heat rises) the gfx chip and slap on a fan (also blowing hot air up). I would try that with the hope that any fans near the CPU will help exhaust the heat, and not overheat my CPU.

You know it's funny, I had a feeling that it was copper with aluminum coating. I wonder if it's the same case with the TRUE, I was thinking about getting a TRUE but with both coolers I would always worry about the extra weight stress put on the board/cpu/graphic card.

I'm still not sure about the GT since I'm afraid the fan will get choked at the bottom of my case

Edited by IVIYTH0S

WOW!!! I just got my Asus 4870 and WOW this is the biggest ATI card I've ever seen, I though it'd be more of same size as a 3870. I'm not complaining because i can see I may not *need* an after market cooler since this one looks so beastly but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I'll run the stock cooler for now and see how I like it.