Intel Atom

I've been wanting to build a simple pc with a tv tuner, but I was wondering if the atom is good enough for it. the tuner I have in mind is the hd650 from ati. would that work out just fine?

I saw several HTPCs based on the Atom at Computex. In fact, I saw all sorts of computers built on the Atom platform, it was a real big hit at the show. With companies backing the new technology so vigorously, I would imagine it to be a great platform for what you're looking to do.

Hmm, I'm not sure about this one.

Are there many Atom boards available without going for something prebuilt?

I did a quick search and it didn't turn up much.

Atom boards I did see seem to be like the Gigabyte GA-GC230D.

If that has everything you need on it, then I don't see why you couldn't build a simple HTPC around it.

I actually had no idea what to put into a case I am currently putting together, till i came across that new mini-itx mobo with the atom processor. At 80 bucks it seems tempting enough to just try it at least. I also have been wanting to build an nes pc...

You can get 1080p HD decoding with the GMA 950 (it's on jammin's suggested board)... and entry level modern series cards, e.g. 8400, 8500 can do HD decoding...

people can run HD video on an EeePC 901 which uses the Atom... pretty sure this is GMA 950 too

As long as it isn't a CPU-only decode, you'd be fine...

newegg is selling atom with intel board for $120, the cpu may take less than 5 watts but the board eats up the rest of the power, so much for ultra low wattage.

You can definitely do HD video, saw it being advertised all over the place at Computex. Gotta rattle my brain to remember if I saw any live demos....

I'm quite impressed by the Atom performance. at 1.6 Ghz, superPI 1M takes 1min30. So if it was at 3Ghz, it would take roughly 45sec, what a P4 socket775 3Ghz takes approximately. So clock for clock it is as good as a P4, but only takes a few Watts !!!

Edit: I must admit that the Gigabyte Atom-based board is very attractive...

Edited by The Smith