Quick Duel Boot Question.

Gr4vitas

Alright I decided to install windows xp on my laptop to duel boot with Vista. So in a nutshell this is what happened. I put in XP cd booted and went to install on a partition, it wouldn't let me create a new partition, so what ever I just installed on the allocated space Vista had made called "recovery" which was like 8 gigs of space or something. Enough for Xp so I figured I'd just install it there and I'd be good to go. So I did and everything works fine accept I can't duel boot... it doesn't ask me to boot an OS it just goes strait to XP. Bro says it's because when you install a new OS like that it will set it to default load that OS as its primary OS rather than say here are two OS's which do you want to load? So he said I need to get a GRUB or install something that will load pre OS and give me the option to pick which OS I want to load.

So anyway, is there anything I can download and install that will allow me to do this? Otherwise is there something I can do besides that?

Any help is appreciated!

~Wes

Xp must go on first then vista not the other way around. Oh and you might want to correct your spelling its "dual" not "duel". You can probably do a repair from the vista disc and it might work not sure.

I love a good duel, though I've never heard of dueling with boots. Swords are fun, pistols are too quick and boring to watch.

Anyways. why do you want to dual boot? I've found that I usually end up just booting into one OS all the time and the other just sits on the disk and takes up space. but a quick google search, and this looks alright

compxpert got the original question right. xp must go on first. as far as putting xp on the recovery partition i don't have a clue whether that will work or not since the recovery partion houses a copy of the vista os originally installed on your machine.

you can get the bootloader working by:

booting from the Vista DVD and running a System Repair

or

installing VistaBootPro and selecting to install the Vista bootloader (System Drive should do it, if not, All Drives)

I have fixed dual boots like this in two ways, running the vista startup repair as mentioned. Or you may only need to go and manually edit the boot.ini file in windows XP. But I can't remember if that will work if you have installed vista first, i'm thinking that it won't tho unfortunately. Unless you actually went into recovery console and deleted the boot.ini and created a new one in there. But I have not tried that either, and it may be that the xp recovery console will not see the vista partition as another bootable O.S.

So in the long run, you may need to save data and wipe the hard drive. Just install XP first, create both your partitions for xp and vista as your installing XP and then just install vista on the unused partion after XP is installed.

"VistaBootPro" is a definate go on the boot loader, and, I might add this................

I avoided any conflicts with XP and Vista by loading each on their own separate hard drives (loaded as the only HD in da system), then after loading both OS's and getting the ships tight with all the updates and drivers and whatever, I then put both in the rig and use VistaBoot Pro to get everything in order.

It is much better IMHO to go this way, the VistaBootPro software works like a charm, and, unlike the winders boot loader, it doesn't go bananas on you down the roadie....

By doing the install this way, you have NOTHING from either OS load that is residing on the other HD (YES, IT DOES HAPPEN)....

Whatever, I am actually triple booting XP32/64 and Vista 64 with the bootloader, nice...

laterzzz..........

Edited by bldegle2