Sign in to follow this  
Capo

Tweaking Vista

Hey All,

I could make this a long post, but I won't. Basically, I have Vista Home Premium 64bit and have been wanting to tweak it to make it a bit less resource hungry. Now, I have seen a few guides online and I know for a fact some of the stuff they suggest is just.... wrong.

That being said, does anyone know of a GOOD guide from an actual technical person as to what I can tweak/services I can turn off in Vista without affecting any core functionality which I may actually use/need?

Thanks!

Ya I think the best thing you can do for Vista as an OS is get 4GB of RAM and a 64-bit version. After that, the first and second links really help to speed it up. But no matter how much RAM you have I never got used to how slowly 32-Bit Vista managed to start the Sidebar. 64-bit loads it in a nano-second as if it were any other desktop icon.

"Now, I have seen a few guides online and I know for a fact some of the stuff they suggest is just.... wrong."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

totally agree....I personally have had to reinstall fresh/clone my HD so many times because of excessive tweaking....depending on your time and patience, it can be a bit annoying to say the least...

good way to learn , though, LOL.....

laterzz...

If you have 4 GB of RAM there's not much you need to do. Turn off the sidebar if you don't use it, turn off Aero if you don't like it.

Past that there's not much more tweaking you can do aside from turning off indexing and disabling services you know you won't use.

I have found that turning off the superfetch or readyboost thingy works wonders.

Either that or I just have waaay too many things going at once.

Jager

P.S.:x64 with 4GB RAM