How Computer Technology Is Portrayed In Films

r3d c0m3t

I was watching Live Free or Die Hard for the one millionth time today and I noticed something that I had never paid any attention to, if you've seen the movie you'll know what I'm talking about, the scene where Thomas' thugs break into Woodlawn there's a shot of several hard drives with nothing covering the platters, nothing at all. No polycarbonate window, not even the standard metallic shield, like I said, nothing at all. How can a supposed hacker steal millions of dollars if the data on the hard drives are corrupted, or even worse if the hard drive is dead?

Another thing that bugs me is when a hacker is taking care of his business through some unknowing Joe's computer and somehow the monitor, whether it be a CRT or TFT seems to loose a "signal" and the image displayed on the screen seems to constantly distort itself as if were receiving information from a satellite.

The point of this thread isn't to point out the shortcomings, but rather the ironic perception portrayed by these hackers as it's funny to those of who know.

Haven't you ever seen something similar to this, pointed and said to yourself, "what the hell is that all about?"

Edited by r3d c0m3t

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Realism is boring. I've tried it, trust me - it doesn't work ;)

Audiences want to see bright colours, flashing lights and beeping.

Couldn't have said it better my self. People would be come bored during the movie with realism.

Couldn't have said it better my self. People would be come bored during the movie with realism.

I also agree with that, but how can the audience be bored with what they don't know? ;)

Heh. I think I just answered my own question, huh? <_<

I despise 95% of all movies in which 99% of the previously mentioned things occur.

I also despise 50% of all movies in which 50% of the previously mentioned things occur...

Unless 50% of what has occurred is 99% bloody, naked or fast; an extra percentage gets added if its fast, naked AND bloody...

But really...

I effing hate it when EVERY SINGLE click or key press causes a beeps (or an equally obnoxious noise)...

You are supposed to be a hacker or at least a proficient computer user...

You are not using Windows 95 and you're not my grandmother so lay off the effing sounds!

Edited by exeter_acres

I despise 95% of all movies in which 99% of the previously mentioned things occur.

I also despise 50% of all movies in which 50% of the previously mentioned things occur...

Unless 50% of what has occurred is 99% bloody, naked or fast; an extra percentage gets added if its fast, naked AND bloody...

But really...

I effing hate it when EVERY SINGLE click or key press causes a beeps (or an equally obnoxious noise)...

You are supposed to be a hacker or at least a proficient computer user...

You are not using Windows 95 and you're not my grandmother so lay off the effing sounds!

I'm with this guy here. I don't watch alot of movies. I hate things that are not how they really happen.

They never use the spacebar when typing. Watch closely.

How is that possible? If you can show me then I will bow before you.

They never use the mouse.

I could see that happening. I don't necessarily have to use the mouse. I use to work on computers without mice. It's harder but not impossible.

Xly15