Rokkaholik

All-time Favorite Shooter Game

Well there are a few games that make feel a bit damp and excited:

GoldenEye - N64 - best console all-round shooter in my personal living memory. Extremely high benchmark set by Rare here.

Soldier of Fortune - PC - Limbs! Limbs I tell you!! 26 separate areas of the body to mutilate. Yummy. It was a crap story, but such good fun.

Jet Force Gemini - N64 - 3rd person shooter, but another Rare masterpiece. Shame they went to Microsoft :( I think it had one of the official hardest end bosses of all time in a few polls. I got to 100% game complete (extremely tough in itself), but couldn't beat the end boss ...

Deus Ex - PC - Extremely good fun, even if I didn't get that far (got to that part where you go into the nightclub). I spent hours just scouring the levels and finding all sorts of hidden little gems and trying to figure out what the 'best' storyline was for mister JC Denton. A lot of effort put into this and was astonishing at the time, especially with a 700MB install! Huge!

Considering that FPS isn't my genre of choice, I think these are some pretty ace games.

For me the absolute best of the best FPS has to be BF2, even though I rarely play it anymore it just has an acceptable level of all aspects of warfare, ground, vehicle and flight. The lack of single player was a huge let down though, COD4 love the game but having only one aspect makes is get boring very quick. If you could somehow combine COD4 with everything BF2 has I would be a very happy gamer. Then again I don't get out much as it is so maybe its a good thing too that that game isn't here yet ...lol

Ill jump on the UT2k4 boat too. For a while all I played was UT and mods based on UT2k4. I still would rather play 2K4 than UT3. Red Orchestra and Air Buccaneers IMO were the 2 best mods. I think I might reinstall that game...

When people talk about Deus Ex (aka FPS/RPG mix), I'm surprised nobody mentioned Max Payne yet!!! That game is sweetness at it's best!
Oh yea, Max Payne was a pretty badass game as well...

Its Payne!

Get him!

im torn in this genre heres a list i still love

duke 3d(ahh playin on 28.8 modem)

007 golden eye(played this everyday after school 4player)

max payne 1/2 (loved these games on pc so much i couldnt put them down till i beat them)

call of duty series except 3 (played the 1st one so much my gf threatened to leave)

Tribes was my first 3D FPS game. Jet pack, rockets, disc gun, laser sniper rifles, anti-personal turrets and etc.

Before there was internet used to build Defenses with gun turrets on a floating base, then switch teams and try to blow it up. Was pretty fun. To see how many tries it would take to completely get rid of it. Then I got internet and multiplayer was fun.

Currently Bioshock is #1 on my list with Stalker at #2 and FEAR in third place. Looking forward to trying Crysis later this year. All activation restrictions including install limits, have been removed from BioShock PC as of 06/20/08.

Edited by oldpaint

Word...

agreed, another vote for dues ex, nothing else has beaten it. Dues Ex kicked all. Invisible war was good to but didnt to it justice.

I ought to throw my old discs in and play it for a few weeks...

Yea, but it still wont be Deus Ex...

:(

yeah... might have to go buy it off steam....

Hmmm this is really tough... I can't pick just one, cause I have played and liked them all.

Overall top picks are:

Quake III Arena

Unreal Tournament 99

Deus Ex

HL

HL2

UT2k4

Out of that group my favorite for online multiplayer would be Q3:A. For just overall story and gameplay, Deus Ex.

I also played and enjoyed doom, quake, doom II, quake II, hexen et cetera et cetera. I played em all, so I just listed the ones that stick out the most in my memory. And I tend to think of online multiplayer for the most part when I think of FPS games.

EDIT: forgot to add in the obvious FEAR, Crysis, COD4. FEAR is possibly in that overall list, but these three games are the type I play once then usually not again unless i'm really bored.

Edited by s0rd3z

Gotta say all you folks like a similar genre.

I always liked Flight Sims, but Il2 planes were always underpowered. LOMAC was good, but to short.

Diablo 1 and two got played solidly for a couple of years.

BF2 and Sacred got played solidly for years, and AOM. Oblivion was great.

Now it is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I have played it for about 2 years solid, interspersed with the occasional Titan Quest, AOE3.

Stalker is not about levelling up but about getting good head-shots and I have found that the SVD is great for that. It's to short though.

Edited by Cespenar

Delta Force Blackhawk Down - played that game for hundreds of hours

followed that up with an unhealthy addiction to BF2 (which I'm still addicted to)