All-time Favorite Shooter Game

Rokkaholik

Going back through my shelves of First Person Shooter games, I realize that all my shooter games were based on ONE game I played years ago... Unreal Tournament 1999. Everything I bought after that game had to meet or exceed it or I uninstalled it and sold it (Quake 3) :rolleyes:

I have to say that Unreal Tournament 1999 is my all time favorite FPS game

What's Yours and why?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was CS and then CS:S for the longest time...then TF2 came out. I tried going back to CS:S but it just couldn't keep me entertained like it used to. TF2 has spoiled me for all multiplayer FPS's.

EDIT: Sorry, I never stated why...

1. Superb graphics and animation. Everything is so fluid, from the way the characters move to how the Engineer's buildings deploy to how spies uncloak/disguise.

2. Character design with a touch of humor. Each class has a unique (exaggerated) look to it, so even when you see someone in the distance, you immediately know what class that is. The taunts also add to the humor aspect, along with the many top-notch voice-overs.

3. Unbelievable balance. I say "unbelievable" because it's remarkable to me how balanced the game is with 9 extremely different classes. There are advantages and disadvantages to every class, and no one class seems to overpower any other. Even with the new changes they've implemented to medics and pyros, adding acquirable (optional) items via achievements still doesn't unbalance it.

4. It's just pure F U N....no matter what class you play.

Edited by ClayMeow

Definitely Quake 3! To me it was the best First Person Shooter out there, probably still is (IMO), the way you moved was remarkable you could move so fast, i don't think any game compares to quake 3 in terms of speed (fast paced games). The game got me into being a competitive gamer. Also there was a wide variety of mods, most of them i disliked but the best out there were CPMA, and DeFrag. DeFrag has to be the craziest mod out there. It's motto, i think, says its all: The Sky's the limit. Im not sure if its the official motto but there's a few that mean the same thing as that.

I still play it to this day and lately iv been playing for 8 hours+ just training for QuakeCon (July 31)

It's really close between UT99 and UT2k4... I think the added gameplay opened up by dodge/wall jumping in 2k4 makes it win, and then adding on the vehicle hilarity like the AS HellbenderRace maps, and shooting vehicles off the suspended roads...

UT99 was intense and probably the ultimate FPS, but 2k4 has a comedy aspect that makes it the reason I have put way more hours into it than any other PC game...

i liked the simple games back in the day, what i most played was UT99, Quake 3 and MOHAA. MOH got me hooked on WW2, Quake for the instagib and UT for last man standing.

Im going to have to say CS:S. I dont play it too often anymore but just like FPS Doug, my heart does race when Im getting headshots and Im having huge kill streaks. I only pub but I still love putting a deagle bullet into peoples heads. The graphics were nice when the game came out and IMO they still arent bad. The repetitiveness doesnt bother me at all. I actually like only playing dust2.

Edit* Runner up is COD1. Thats what started it for me. The headshots and 1 shot kills I would pull off in that game with the Kar98 were pretty insane.

Edited by SMeeD

i don't think BF1942 spawned everything.....i think it was operation flashpoint for me that did it...at the time, was the ultimate fps/sim out there
In which other game did you have as versatile missions and as realistic gameplay? :) Get shot in the legs and you're crawling, that's what I call close to realistic!
Im going to have to say CS:S. I dont play it too often anymore but just like FPS Doug, my heart does race when Im getting headshots and Im having huge kill streaks. I only pub but I still love putting a deagle bullet into peoples heads. The graphics were nice when the game came out and IMO they still arent bad. The repetitiveness doesnt bother me at all. I actually like only playing dust2.

Edit* Runner up is COD1. Thats what started it for me. The headshots and 1 shot kills I would pull off in that game with the Kar98 were pretty insane.

Exactly the same for me! CS:S is a lot of fun, no question about it! COD1 is also one of my all-time favorite games, pretty much for the same reason! The 98k just pretty much owned anything else in that game, the maps were fun, the AWE Mod let you take MG42's with you, plant tripwires and do other cool funky stuff. Did I mention the fun of whacking someone with your gun? :D

Single player, HL2 (and the two EP's) It looks totally awsome (the source engine is my favourite as it looks great but is still very gentle on your computer, i love the water) The storyline is completely immersive, and the puzzles are great fun :)

Multiplayer: TF2

As was mentioned before it is really really well balanced and unlike CS:S it is not just about who has the fastest reactions or stays in a pack, it's about finding a way around problems/bottlenecks like a annoyingly placed sentry or a well gaurded corner, and there is always a number of ways to attack while not making it impossible to defend.