Newb To Computer Building

Lhiannon

i did get the 8400 at microcenter. got it for about 30 less than the newegg price as well.

the computer is...

antec 900 case

pc power and cooling silencer 750 watt psu

asus p5q mobo

intel e8400 proc running at 3.825ghz (temps seem a bit high at idle, any advice is definitely appreciated)

4 gb corsair dominator ddr2 1066 ram (came with a nice little three fan ram cooler. very cool)

evga gtx260 ftw edition (clocked at 666 mhz)

xigmatek s1208 cooler (not positive about the model number here at work, but its the one that comes highly recommended)

3 samsung sata2 250gb hdd raided together*

*not part of the cost, as i had them from an older machine.

all total, after MIR and and shipping, $999.00. everything from newegg save the proc and the case, from microcenter.

the overclock on the processor kind of worries me. under load its jumping up to like 67 degrees celsius, and everything ive read tell me thats too hot. loading it with prime95 and monitoring with hwmonitor. note, the room that the computer sits in has a slightly higher than the norm ambient temp @ 78 to 80 degrees farenheit. most probably ill have to back it down a bit and just be happy with a lower speed, but if anyone has any other opinions, im listening.

thanks all!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i did get the 8400 at microcenter. got it for about 30 less than the newegg price as well.

the computer is...

antec 900 case

pc power and cooling silencer 750 watt psu

asus p5q mobo

intel e8400 proc running at 3.825ghz (temps seem a bit high at idle, any advice is definitely appreciated)

4 gb corsair dominator ddr2 1066 ram (came with a nice little three fan ram cooler. very cool)

evga gtx260 ftw edition (clocked at 666 mhz)

xigmatek s1208 cooler (not positive about the model number here at work, but its the one that comes highly recommended)

3 samsung sata2 250gb hdd raided together*

*not part of the cost, as i had them from an older machine.

all total, after MIR and and shipping, $999.00. everything from newegg save the proc and the case, from microcenter.

the overclock on the processor kind of worries me. under load its jumping up to like 67 degrees celsius, and everything ive read tell me thats too hot. loading it with prime95 and monitoring with hwmonitor. note, the room that the computer sits in has a slightly higher than the norm ambient temp @ 78 to 80 degrees farenheit. most probably ill have to back it down a bit and just be happy with a lower speed, but if anyone has any other opinions, im listening.

thanks all!

What do you have it overclocked to? If you haven't clocked it very high, I would reseat the heatsink, with just a grain of rice size dab of TIM in the center (like following AS5 instructions online).

Good luck!

What do you have it overclocked to?

intel e8400 proc running at 3.825ghz

probably would have helped had i stated that the e8400 is stock at 3 ghz.

i thought that i read in one of the guides that spreading the thermal compound out on both side was the way to go? am i mistaken?

What do you have it overclocked to? If you haven't clocked it very high, I would reseat the heatsink, with just a grain of rice size dab of TIM in the center (like following AS5 instructions online).

Good luck!

Actually I think the core 2 instructions on A5 is a line.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html

Capture002.jpg

Edited by Syngensmyth

You most likely have too much TIM. And to Nate, he has it clocked to 3.825 GHz. It shouldn't be reaching those temps. at that clock. Try cleaning off all of the TIM and applying just a thin line as Syngensmyth said. The ambient temp. you're running in does have an effect. Most overclockers run in the high 60s low 70s. You won't get quite as high an overclock in that room, but it still shouldn't be that hot. Try reseating the heatsink with less TIM. While you have it off, use a machinist's straight edge to check that the bottom surface is flat. If not, try lapping the heatsink so that it is smooth. If you don't know how, ask and we'll tell you, it's not hard. Otherwise, your setup looks great. Have fun with it.

Actually I think the core 2 instructions on A5 is a line.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/ins_route_step2intelas5.html

Capture002.jpg

I guess times have changed!

Ahh...silly me for not reading it all. I should have asked what voltage you're using. :blush:

But, yeah, you should be getting better temperatures with that CPU cooler (the 900 has good airflow, too)

Maybe turn up the fan speeds in your 900? I know they come with 3 speed fans. Make sure they're not all on the low setting. Also make sure some are intake and others are exhaust. Usually front is intake and rear and top are exhaust. Also, have you gone through the procedures for finding your lowest stable voltage. Even a small excess voltage can increase your temps. dramaticaly. Power=Current*Voltage. Trying lowering your voltage if you can and still have a stable system. Turn the fans all to the high setting. Reset your HSF with less TIM and check that the base of the HSF is totally flat. Also check the heatsink on the CPU, sometimes those are not flat. Try some of our recommendations and let us know what happens.

stupid question, how do i turn the fans on high?

ive got the front as intake, the rear and top as exhaust, and the cooler fan blowing through the heatsink towards the rear of the case.

ill reseat the heatsink and give it another shot.

ok, turned up the fans, reseated the cooler. getting temps of 49degrees at idle, up to 67 under load still. even cooled down the room a bit. can someone tell me, what IS a good minimum safe temp? ive read everything from 55 under load, up to 70. opinions and thoughts welcome.

Check your BIOS for the temp threshold for CPU fan to run full speed. Setting that lower will help idle temps. If your bios has that setting.

These new chips need to be run a little cooler. Not sure on safe load temps. I get unhappy over 50 even with the old ones. I get down right cranky over 60. But must defer to true owners of these 45 CPU's.

If you used A5 things will improve with age somewhat. I don't know if you will improve 5 degrees but possible.

If you remove the side panel do temps drop? Can't imagine so with all the fans in the 900 but interesting to see what happens.

Why not make a signature with you equipment in it. I don't remember what you are running.

Edited by Syngensmyth

syngen, i actually tried that. had a big fan blowing right into the case. no difference at all. makes me happy but frustrated. i know my cooling is working as well as it can, but that just happens to not be all that well.

ill get on the sig stuff.. :ph34r:

also, dont know if it means anything, but i cant feel that much heat on my cooler when i touch it.

Edited by Lhiannon