4870 & 4850 Crossfire

Does anyone have this combo? If so how does it rate performance wise? I have 2 4850s and was wondering if it is worth it to get a 4870 and crossfire with the other 4850.

Lol, bit soon for an upgrade no? What games does you current CF arrangement stuggle in?

I'm just thinking about it. I wasn't impressed with the performance I was getting in Mass Effect although it was really good. If the performance isn't that much better with a 4870 4850 setup I probably won't bother.

I'm just thinking about it. I wasn't impressed with the performance I was getting in Mass Effect although it was really good. If the performance isn't that much better with a 4870 4850 setup I probably won't bother.

Buy more RAM first...there's no reason to not have 4 GB in a gaming rig like yours.

Buy more RAM first...there's no reason to not have 4 GB in a gaming rig like yours.

Yeah I would. I really want to stick with this Kingston XMP but they don't have 2X2 sticks. Too damn expensive. I bought the OCZ memory to start and it died in 2 days. As I was troubleshooting I called Gigabyte and she said don't use anything else but Kingston and Corsair. The 2X2 sticks are insane. When they are down in the 200 range I will get some.

Edited by InCrYsIs

Crysis? :lol:
Why would you think that? LOL

Mass Effect likes nV, as I recall. The 4850 on my system underperforms the 9800GTX by a small margin - the latter is generally ahead by at least 5 FPS at all resolutions.

The 4870 matches the performance of the GTX260 for me, which is par for the course since they cost about the same.

Not sure how adding a 4870 to the mix would benefit you. I'd rather see you sell your 4850s and buy a 4870X2. The total price of a 4850 and a 4870 is $580 before tax, meaning you can easily pick up a 4870X2 for that price (~$549), which will perform far better.

Optionally, you can grab a 4850X2 and pair it up in CrossfireX with one your existing 4850s. Might be worth it depending on how the performance scaling turns out.

I'd wait and see how the market plays out before making a rash decision like that.

By the by, what exactly do you mean when you say

I wasn't impressed with the performance I was getting in Mass Effect although it was really good.
???

Do you mean the performance was excellent but not up to your standards? hehe

By the by, what exactly do you mean when you say

???

Do you mean the performance was excellent but not up to your standards? hehe

It was jumpy in places. I was running 1680X1050 max settings. I guess I'm picky.

Mass effect was unplayable with Asus 4850 single with 8xAA 16xAF 1680x1080 had to reduce to 4xAA and didn't feel any slowdowns but Crysis is really annoying fps wise at some points =_= when playing on vista. So thinking same if i should grab 1 more 4850 or 4870 :-p.

InCrYsIs could you post some crysis benches with xfire on and off on vista 1680x1080 all very high :)? Would really appreciate.

Mass effect was unplayable with Asus 4850 single with 8xAA 16xAF 1680x1080 had to reduce to 4xAA and didn't feel any slowdowns but Crysis is really annoying fps wise at some points =_= when playing on vista. So thinking same if i should grab 1 more 4850 or 4870 :-p.

InCrYsIs could you post some crysis benches with xfire on and off on vista 1680x1080 all very high :)? Would really appreciate.

Wait for the X2. I going to sell off both 4850s when the X2 comes out. I don't need to post benchmarks for Crysis. I can just tell you its terrible. I only have a vista box but you just can't max the game out. It doesn't take to the crossfire well.

I saw 4870 x2 tests wasnt impressed it equals 4870 cf :-p but 4850x2+4850 Would be interesting :-) For some tri-fire. In theory 4850+4850x2 should cost same as 2x4870.

crysis-1920-veryhigh.gif

Edited by Uantyv